Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Books

Thursday, October 8, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Thursday we’ll offer recommendations for book lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening.

SIS Barb says...
I'm in the midst of researching right now so I haven't had much time to read for pleasure. However, I just ordered 4 books from Amazon and I can't wait! Looking forward to some new material from new to me authors and some of my faves.

My Pick of the Week: The Mythical Creatures Bible
This book is great. The pictures are amazing and the descriptions and history have been incredibly helpful. I can already tell I'll be using this book for research for years to come.

Author: Brenda Rosen


SIS Beth says…
A couple of weeks ago, I went on a frenzy put several books on hold at the library. An assortment of Victorian romances and Vampire mysteries by authors I’d never read. I thought they’d trickle in. Thought I’d have time to squeeze them all in. Well, of course they all came at once and due to several factors I don’t have time to read even one! The nice thing about the library is that I can return them and check them out again later. Still, dang, I was so hungry for those reads. Instead, I’m reading a non-fiction book, much needed research for my WIP—Into the Wild.


My pick of the Week: Lost Treasure of the Inca
I was so thrilled to find this book. It covers the exact lost treasure that’s at the heart of Into the Wild. The Lost Treasure of Llanganatis or sometimes known as Atahualpa’s buried ransom.

From Barnes and Noble: For over 400 years, treasure seekers have hunted in vain for one of the biggest treasures in the world, the lost gold of the Incas, hidden from the Spanish conquistadors, in the mysterious, cloud-filled Llanganatis Mountains of Ecuador. This fascinating, photo-essay combines many color and black-and-white photos with a lively first person text, to recount the author's adventures as, with the help of three modern Inca guides, he travels through this difficult, dangerous terrain in search of treasure and history.

Here’s the kicker. This is classified as a juvenile book. Meaning it was written for kids! Call me young at heart, but I found this book fascinating. I remember attending a workshop once where the speaker mentioned never discounting the juvenile section of the library when doing research. Now I know why.

Author: Peter Lourie (I know what you’re thinking. No, not the famous actor. I checked, plus his name was spelled ‘Lorre’)

6 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I've often found kids' books easier to understand than overly technical adult books. That's why I have several of those cool "Eyewitness" books for subjects I want to learn about. :)

B.J. said...

Barb, I have childrens books on mythical creatures, unicorns and dragons. The kids love them as much as I do.

B.J. said...

Beth, I love books on lost treasures. Your pick sounds very interesting.

Beth Ciotta said...

Tori, I own a couple of Eyewitness books too! You're right. Very cool. :)

BJ, I think you'd be fascinated by the Lost Treasure of the Incas. There's a curse and everything!

SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

Has Smurfette started reading the Harry Potter books yet? I'm just wondering what age kids start on those.


SIS Barb

B.J. said...

Barb, she is reading Inkheart.

Post a Comment