Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm Nooked!

Friday, October 23, 2009



Maybe you've heard of it already.

The Nook.

Barnes and Nobles's new eBook Reader. Their version of Amazon's popular 'Kindle'. The official announcement (available for pre-order) of this new nifty gadget was yesterday, I believe. At least that's when I learned about it.

I've always been intrigued by the Kindle and Sony eReader, but not enough to buy one. All it took was one 360 tour at BN.com and I was nooked, er hooked.

Click here for a pic and details on the Nook. Click here for more details via an article on Wired.

For anyone who doesn’t know, I'm a techno-goober. I don't do well with electronic gadgets. I don't even know how to text with my phone. Thus I usually steer clear of gadgets and gizmos... although I do love my new Flip (video cam). Also, I've never been a fan of ebooks or more specifically--a fan of reading a book on a screen. I'm an old-fashioned print book kind-of-gal. However, more and more over the last few months I've seen the ever-growing popularity of eBooks. Even the library I work at is now pushing eBooks and audio books with a vengeance. Let's face it. Day by day, more and more people spend the majority of their time on computers, iphones, blackberries, netbooks, PDAs and various other gadgets and gizmos. What do they DO all day on those things? Text? Email? Play video games? Watch movies and listen to music? If a nifty eReader will seduce people into reading more books, newspapers, and magazines, then I say, "Yeehaw!" If eReaders encourage and inspire literacy, "Woo-hoo!" Bring them on.

The Nook, like the Kindle, offers new hardcover releases at discount prices. These are hard times. A lot of people who used to spend $25-$30 for one hardcover can't afford to do so anymore. But 9.99? That's more doable. Another bonus with BN's Nook.... they're offering thousands of free eBooks. Who can say no to free? Plus, many of those books are classics. I, for one, am very interested in exploring Jane Austen and the likes.

As a published author, someone who makes her living (or at least a partial living) from the proceeds of book sales, it may seem odd that I'm supporting a device that's selling books at a discount in addition to giving books away. But like I said, times are tough. The way I look at it, any sale is better than no sale. And anything that gets people to READ is a good thing.

For the longest time, I equated success with selling to a print publisher. To seeing my stories in old fashioned print form on the shelves of old fashioned bookstores. But recently I dug deep and asked the question: Why do I write?

Answer: Because I want to entertain. Because I want to share my stories… with as many people as possible. Does it really matter how they enjoy them--print book, ebook, or audio book?

No.

What matters is that my stories are available in as many forms as possible thereby expanding my audience thereby spreading the joy to the max.

I started this post wanting to share my excitement about the Nook. Now I’m thinking it’s more about reconnecting with my driving force. My motivation.

Why am I compelled to write?

It’s also about not being adverse to change. About embracing the future.

Ebooks.

Digital publishing.

I’m not the only published ‘print’ author reexamining the playing field. Click here and read J.A Konrath’s last three boldly honest and reflective posts. Enlightening and thought provoking.

On a personal note… I was disappointed when I learned the first two books in the Chameleon Chronicles—ALL ABOUT EVIE and EVERYBODY LOVES EVIE were out of print. But as of today I’m choosing to think: Yay, me! I sold out! And though I’m not a big enough name to incite a reprint, I AM still out there… in digital form.
Got a computer? An iphone or some other eBook reader? Good news. You can own me… er… Evie.

Click here and download one or all three Evie books from eHarlequin. If you don't have a Ereader, no problem, you cna download a PDF version to your computer. All three Evie books are also avail in didital form at BN.com and there are Kindle versions at Amazon.com.

It's a new world. Are you up to dabbling in unknown or uncomfortable territories? What's your take on Ereaders? Do you own one? Are you tempted to buy one? If so, which one? Are you adjusting to the thoughts of a future where ebooks are as popular if not more than print?

12 comments:

Elle J Rossi said...

Absolutely! I want to try everything. I really want an Ereader. Mainly because I've run out of space to store all my books and for some reason, I can't seem to part with them so they just keep piling up.

If I could run out right now and get one, I think it would be the Nook. I also watched the 360 tour and it seems to be one of the better one. It's so hard to know. I also like that it comes with accessories like covers and cases in various colors to carry it in. I. Love. Accessories.

I'm putting it on my birthday/Christmas list!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Storage popped into my mind as well, Barb. I also thought about how many people DO part with their books. People donate boxes of books to my library everyday. Many of them are in such poor condition--water damaged, moldy, ripped covers, etc--that they have to be disposed of. Think of all the trees who gave their lives for those books! Having all of your books stored electronically is also better for the enviroment.

Now on to more shallow talk... Accessories. Yes, there were sevral things to choose from to compliment The Nook. I already picked out what case I want and will probably spring for that book light, too! I already set money aside. Saving up for a Nook!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Oops. That was me. Beth. :)

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Well, darn! Just saw a post on Twitter by MJ Rose, linking to an article on The Nook. Article explains how The Nook could be the doom of Barnes and Noble, an already hurting company. So... if BN went under, the Nook would be useless?

Talk bout a buzz kill.

Here's the link.
http://www.thebigmoney.com/features/kindle-chronicles/2009/10/22/nook-doom?page=full

SIS Beth

Richard said...

Okay, I AM a techno-geek ... and I STILL have big problems with The Nook (although I find it really COOL!). Here's a couple:

1) Who NAMES these things? Really, this is a crass, childish age, so I don't find myself being TOO much so by hearing in my head somebody saying they're going to "go off and get a little _______" (fill in blank with crass noun, using product name!). You have to think as if you were naming a child --- "how will people mess with this?" (In fact, reading a book right now wherein the main character is nicknamed "Lucy" his entire life because his parents named him "Lou Charles," which showed up on the teacher's list 1st day of school as "Lou C."). I find no way to have childish wordplay with "Kindle," for instance.
2) I have book, I go to park to read book, and A) I don't have to worry about the sun being too bright for me to see the words; B) I forget the book on a bench for whatever reason, I lose my BOOK -- not HUNDREDS of books!! Oh, and the batteries never run out on my paperbacks right in the middle of that scene where....
3) My eyesight is bad enough these days; lengthy books typeset in small face so the book doesn't weigh 50 lbs. are bad enough, BUT at least I don't have to TURN THE PAGES SO OFTEN! For me to read a Nook, how many times will I be hitting the "next" button?

I'll stop there, but I WILL say, Beth, as much as I would consider downloading your Eve books (in PDF format!), I refuse to do so until I receive the signed edition I won about 1/3 of a year ago;)! (Sorry -- had to throw that in:)!).

Y'all have a good weekend! And good luck with the "power writing"!

BJ said...

Hi Beth, I have been looking at the Kindle for a while now. I know it would save trees but I still like to hold a book in my hands. It would be nice to have all your books in one place. Still haven't made up my mind on whether I will get one or not.

Beth Ciotta said...

Richard,

Regarding the Evie book I owe you, I'm mortified. I'm so sorry. I have fallen woefully behind on so many things. Obviously, I need an assistant. *sigh* Just ran upstairs and found an envelope. Making out label now.

Regarding The Nook. I didn't know who came up with the name. It is sort of silly. That was mentioned in a couple of articles I read on it. AS for the sunlight, according to the stats, unlike the Kindle, the Nook is not backlit They say it is easily read in the sun. As for leaving it behind somewhere... well that's the risk we take with all our portable gadets these days, I guess. I'm forever worried about losing my phone! As for font size, they say it's adjustable on the Nook. I haven't been able to try one out yet, so I can't really say how I for sure feel about it. I definitely get your concerns. I have mine too!

SIS Beth

Tori Lennox said...

I would love a Kindle (or Sony eReader or a Nook or whatever crops up next) for the sole reason I keep running out of space for hard copy books. Well, that and being to take hundreds of books with me at one time. :)

But since I can't really afford one, the point is kind of moot.

Beth Ciotta said...

BJ, I, too, like holding a real book in my hands. I will never give up reading print books, but I do look at eReaders as offering other advantages. I'm dragging my feet because after more research, I can't decide between the Kindle or the Nook, although I still like the Nook more. Probably won't be taking the plunge until after the holidays.

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Tori, the Kindle eventually came down in price. Hopefully, the same will happen with the Nook... which then inspire another Kindle redution... hopefully. If they made the ereaders more affordable for the average consumer, they'd sell so many more books!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

I could list my concerns but they would only echo the concerns already mentioned here. While an ereader sounds intriguing, I think I'll hold out a while longer. As with every other new electronic device, it doesn't take long before something better comes along. So I think I'll wait and see what other products make there debut.

SIS Bren

Mary Stella said...

Beth, you got a Flip? OMG, I am so envious. I want to hear all about it. Are you able to upload the videos yourself? Is it easy? How's the quality? Are there different models? Which one did you get?

We really need to squeeze in a phone call, my friend! LOL

Post a Comment