Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Movies and TV

Saturday, October 10, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Saturday we’ll offer recommendations for movie and TV lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Barb says:

I'm gonna change things up just a tad. Yesterday, for some unknown reason, I started to think of television commercials of the past. Several came to mind. I shared them with some friends and then they threw out a few blasts from the past as well. I'm gonna give you a couple of statements or songs from these commercials. Can you figure out what product they were advertising?


1) Barbara you up? Barbara you up?

2) Where's the beef?

3) "?" take me away.

4) I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. I'd like to buy the world a "?"...


OKay. I'll stop now. Have a great weekend!

SIS Bren says...

Okay, even though the temp outside has shot back up and it feels like the middle of August again, I'm still in the mood for Fall and it's festivities. Halloween is right around the corner! Last year I tried to think of some "scary" movies to rent to watch with the kids, but since I waited until the last minute they were all checked out. A couple of months ago, I came across this movie, and just knew that the boys would love it!


My Pick of the Week: Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Johnny Depp is GREAT in this movie. Okay, he's great in everything. I love the way the neighborhood houses are painted, the hair styles, the timeless feel of this movie. I love the fact that Johnny Depp barely speaks in this movie, yet you really feel how lonely and isolated he feels.

From IMDb: In a castle high on top of a hill lives an inventor's greatest creation - Edward, a near-complete person. The creator died before he could finish Edward's hands; instead, Edward is left with metal scissors for hands. Edward has always lived alone, until a kind lady called Peg discovers Edward and welcomes him into her home. At first, everyone welcomes Edward into the community, but soon things begin to take a change for the worse.




SIS Beth says…
This past week I had the flu. Not fun. The first day I was so down and out, I couldn’t get out of bed. My head hurt too bad to read OR write so I did something I never do… I watched TV, albeit on my computer.

My Pick of the Week: Castle
Synopsis from MSN TV: Bored with his own success, celebrated mystery novelist Richard Castle teams up with NYPD Detective Kate Beckett to solve the case of a copycat killer who starts recreating murder scenes from Rick's novels. Unfortunately, Rick and Kate clash so violently with each other that there may be another murder in the offing.

I LOVED this show. I mean it stars a guy who's a writer! And the guy who plays Castle is the same actor who played Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly! I watched three episodes of Castle back to back. Witty, sexy, and compelling. Check it out while you can. Seems the shows I always love end up getting canceled (like Firefly)!

20 comments:

Elle J Rossi said...

Bren,

What a fantastic recommendation. I haven't seen that movie in years. I think I'll head to Blockbuster and see if they have it. Do you think my kids are old enough?

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, what fun!

1) Don't know it. Bleh.
2) Darn. A little old lady said. It's for a fastfood burger right? Darn. I stink at this.
3) Calgon
4) Coke

Here's one for you...
What chain made this ditty famous?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a seseme seed bun.

Beth Ciotta said...

Bren, awesome October rec. I haven't seen Edward Scissorhands in years. Ooh, and what about Beetlejuice??

SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

Beth,

Mickey Dees! Come on...challenge me a little!


SIS Barb

Brandy said...

Barb I got them!!!
1. Folgers
2. Wendy's
3. Calgon
4. Coke

pretty good huh - considering I am SO much younger than you guys!!!!!!!!!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Someone's cruisin' for a brusin'... as Grandpa Miller would say.

Yeah, I know Brandy. You're too young to remember him. Jeesh. ;)

SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

Brandy,

Nope! # 1 is still wrong!!!!!


Come on somebody. Throw one out there for me too!

SIS Barb

brandy said...

barb

shoot!! Not folgers? Its coffee though right? Maxwell House?

What about the noid? What is he from?

Elle J Rossi said...

Brandy,


Not coffee. Keep trying.

Noid? I do believe that was Domino's Pizza. Am I right?

This is great. I hope others chime in!

SIS Barb

B.J. said...

Brenda, I love Edward Scissorhands. Great pick.

B.J. said...

Beth, I have seen Castle. it's a good show but it is on the same night as some other shows that I like.

B.J. said...

Barb, I got everyone but number one. I will have to think about it.

Richard said...

Okay, #1 is Sucrets, folks! And, MAN, how'd you come UP with that obscure chestnut, Barb-Elle (yes, it STILL cracks me up!! Blame Mary Stella!!!)?
Now, for the REALLY old folks, how about:

"Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo-Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
He had an engine and he sure had fun,
He used _____ __ _______ candy to make his train run."

And for the not-so-old:

"_____ _ ______, Where a kid can be a kid."

LOVE "Edward Scissorhands"! One of those rare "teen flicks" that I have nothing bad to say about. But, hey, am I really the ONLY one who liked JD in "Sweeney Todd"? I thought the movie was brilliant!

Haven't gotten into "Castle" so much yet (I have seen a couple episodes and I liked it -- still tied up with "Sons Of Anarchy" right now, anxiously awaiting the return of "Rescue Me," both from FX), though my Mom loves it -- so maybe I should ;-)!

Richard said...

One more thing you probably enjoyed if you remember, Barb - the movie, "Demolition Man," where in the future the most popular "style" of music on the radio is old jingles, including a great short bit with Dan Cortese (also, remember HIS start in commercials -- "I LOVE this place" ads for _____ _____) as a lounge-type act playing piano at Taco Bell and singing jingles?

Elle J Rossi said...

Richard,

Ding, ding, ding! You win. It is Sucrets. I think I remember that because of the name Barbara.

I have no idea what Choo Choo Charlie is but the next one is Chuck E Cheese and I think the 3rd one is Burger King.

SIS Barb/Elle

Tori Lennox said...

Beth, don't count Castle out! It's already on its second season! A couple of weeks ago, we had a grammar episode. Rick kept continuously correcting grammar right and left. It was a hoot and SUCH a writer thing to do!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Richard, you got me on those commercials Obviously, I just don't watch enough TV! LOL Loved DEMOLITION MAN though!

Tori, I ddn't see that one. Sounds great! Did you see the episode where Castle plays poker with two mystery writer cronies? Michael Connolly and Stephen Cannell playing themselves?? What a riot. Cannell, I thought, was the more natural actor. Still, how clever!

SIS Beth

Richard said...

Well done, Barb! And don't worry about theone you missed --- it's an early 60's TV ad that I still remember verbatim!

Click HERE to see and HEAR the answer!

Richard said...

And ONE MORE "OMG!" TV commercial before I leave you alone -- another one I remember from The Flinstones (back when I and the fam were watching NEW episodes every week -- in B&W!).

Click HERE for a REAL blast from the past, with MANY more from the era on the right.

Good Night, Ladies! Off to watch about 5 "Dexter's" back-to-back!!!

Tori Lennox said...

Beth, the very first episode of Castle had Stephen Cannell and James Patterson. :)

Post a Comment