Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Saying!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009




The first thing I thought this morning was “This getting up at 5:30 is for the birds.” And then my quirky brain imagined a bunch of birds sitting around saying “Hey, Fred. It’s 5:30. We should be getting up about now.”

And then another saying popped into my head. “That really gets my goat”. I can just imagine some farmer sitting at a table with his prized goat sitting across from him and shaking its head and, having just heard something that infuriated the goat, the farmer says, “Yeah. That really gets my goat”.

Where do these sayings come from and why do they catch on? I can remember some things my grandmother used to say. Ask her the time and she would answer, “Half past the monkey’s ass and a quarter til his balls”. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? It used to crack me up every time she said it.

And my mother used to say she was “going to kick your ass up between your shoulder blades”. Now at the time, I didn’t even know what shoulder blades were, but it sounded pretty scary so I thought I’d straighten up and fly right before my ass was grass, or worse yet, in a sling.

What about this one? “Let’s party til the cows come home”. Where did the cows go? On vacation? I’m pretty sure they’re just out there in the pasture some where. And why do we have to stop partying when they come home? Are they going to be mad and ground us?

Well, I need to shake a leg and get my rear in gear and get my morning started so I’m going to make like a banana and split.

But please feel free to give me your two cents worth. I’d love to hear some of your favorite sayings.


See you later, alligator

SIS Bren


19 comments:

Elle J Rossi said...

Brenda,

Now that's just stinkin' funny. You wrote all the good ones but I thought of another Mother always said. "Don't just stand there with your finger up your ass. Do something!"


The other day someone said "dressed to the nines" and while I know what they meant, what exactly does that mean? But "what's that have to do with the price of eggs in China?"

How about "it's raining cats and dogs". Huh?

Can't wait to come up with some more! Have a great day at work.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Tori Lennox said...

My grandma used to say about people looked or felt it, they felt (or looked) like Death eating a cracker. WHAT does that MEAN???? LOL!!!!

She also used to say it was cold enough to freeze your pockets off. *g*

Tori Lennox said...

Sheesh. I meant people who looked or felt ILL.

B.J. said...

I have always liked "Smart Ass"- just how smart can one be.

brandy said...

bren,

Great post. that's funny shit. I can't think of any others. You guys took all the good ones!!!

Liz Kreger said...

Let's see ... grandma used to say "colder than a brass monkey's ass".

Question. Why does it seem like its grandma who had all these great sayings?

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Barb,

Exactly! Who ever came up with "raining cats and dogs"? Crazy. What would make someone say something like that for the first time, and why would it catch on?

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Tori,

Just imagine the image of Death eating a cracker. My mind conjures up images of the Grim Reaper eating a Ritz. What a strange saying. Have you ever heard that someone "looks (or feels) like death, warmed-over"? HUH?

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Liz,

Grandma's are great. I think they just say whatever they want because they enjoy shocking people. I think my grandma used to say the same thing about a brass monkey.

What about "colder than a witch's tit"? I learned that one when I lived in New England and always thought it was funny.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Our grandma also said, "colder than a witches tit." WHY would that part of a witch's anatomy be any colder than the rest, I wonder?

Great post Brenda. Although it does make one wonder about our family. :)

Another one I remember hearing a lot: "Can't tell his ass from a hole in the ground." REALLY??? That's just scary!

And what about... "Full of piss and vinegar." Just what does THAT mean??

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

oops! I meant Grandmas without the apostrophe. I hate when I have typos!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori... I have bever heard that one before. I love it... whatever it means. ;)

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

Those are great! I forgot about "ass and a hole in the ground". Really. That IS scary.

As for our family...well, one could say our grandma and mom were just VERY down to earth. That's okay...I have great memories. I'm happy to say that I never did get my ass kicked up between my shoulder blades. Turns out it was just an idle threat.

I don't think it would be a good thing to be full of piss and vinegar, that's for sure!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

I have another one to share. My husband, when very hungry, says "I could eat the asshole out of a hobby horse". I remember the shock and then laughter the first time I heard him say that. Why a hobby horse, and wouldn't say, his leg, be a better choice for a meal?

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

B.J.,

Smart Ass. You're right. How smart can one be? Of course there is always a Dumb Ass.

SIS Bren

Elle J Rossi said...

These are horribly great.

I heard this one quite often growing up..."Do that one more time and your ass is dead meat."

Isn't that lovely. I feel I've sorely neglected my children. I don't think they have anything to say about me when they get older. Because I don't think "Are you kidding me" and "Have you lost your mind?" count. I must correct that!

What does "three sheets to the wind" mean?

One of the girls at work recently said she fell "ass over teakettle". I just stared at her. Ass over what?

I love these. Keep them coming!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Brandy,

Come on. You can think of one can't you. C'mon, put your nose to the grindstone...

SIS Bren

Elle J Rossi said...

Brenda,

I'm shocked that your husband would say such a thing. Okay, I'm not shocked or surprised but I am peeing myself!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

OH! I just thought of another thing my husband says that is funny. When we're working, if someone calls and asks what he's doing he replies, "working like a rented mule". Now THAT'S funny. Although, considering how hard we work, I kind of feel bad for rented mules.

SIS Bren

Post a Comment