Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Books

Thursday, October 1, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Thursday we’ll offer recommendations for book lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Barb says...
The other day I blogged about distractions and mentioned that one of the things that distracted me was a book. Written by another "new to me" author, but someone I've heard a lot about and someone that writes in a genre I love. Paranormal Romance. I started this book on Sunday because my husband STOLE my computer for over 2 hours. I'm actually really glad he did because I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it inspired me to work more diligently on my Paranormal.

My Pick of the Week: Storm of Shadows (The Chosen Ones)
Yes, it's a series. WooHoo. And yes, I will continue with the other books within this series. This book is about men and woman who were destined to use their powerful gifts for good or evil. A search for the prophecy that foretold how good will persevere, turns into a fight for life and love. Who will win in this ongoing war of light vs. dark

Author: New Your Times Bestseller, Christina Dodd



SIS Beth says…
It’s been a busy week. I’m waaay behind on my reading. I say waaay behind, because six book I ordered though the library all came in at the same time and I have had NO time to read. I’m only halfway though the book I was reading last week—Amanda Quick’s Second Sight. Very much enjoying it so far. Wish I had time to finish the dang thing. I will. But not by the time I finish this post. So this week, instead of a book I’m going to recommend an author.

My pick of the Week: F. Paul Wilson
You all know how I love a series. One of the most innovative series I’ve come across in the last couple of years are the books written by Paul starring Repairman Jack. Jack is a mysterious, sexy man with *ahem* special skills. Or as Paul describes him on his website: an anarchic urban mercenary with no identity.

When I first read one of these books (and I confess I started in the middle of the series) I was hooked by page ONE. The writing style was tight and clever and Jack was a charismatic enigma. At first I thought I was reading a straight ahead thriller then a few chapters in… HUH? WHOA! What the heck was I reading? I would now classify it as thriller/horror/paranormal . . . or something like that.
The 13th book in the series, GROUND ZERO, debuted last week and immediately hit the NYT Bestselling list. I haven’t read GROUND ZERO yet, but it’s on the READ SOON list. I’m not going to tell you anything about the series except that it’s exceptionally written, engrossing, and you’ll enjoy them more if you read them in order.

For more insight and a chronological list of the Repairman Jack series, visit F. Paul Wilson's website.

4 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Repairman Jack sounds intriguing, Beth. I may have to check it out.

Ellen said...

I was hooked immediately also - and since I found FPW late in the series I had the pleasure of being able to read the first 11 as fast as I could. This series actually begins (The Tomb) and ends (Nightworld, about to be re-released in a heavily revised form) in two books of the six book Adversary Cycle, which has been updated and is being re-released in sequence with events in the RJ story line.

What I love is that a lot of FPWs work is great on its own, but much of it is also interconnected via The Secret History of the World - characters show up in more than one piece, certain places play key roles in several pieces, etc. You can enjoy it all on its own, but the more you read the better everything gets as you piece together all sorts of connections and gain a deeper understanding of what is really going on beneath the surface.

I would highly recommend RJ, or start with some short stories if that is more your style and then head over to RJ when you want more (and you will).

Elle J Rossi said...

Sounds like I need to read this series. I'm surprised Beth liked it since it has some horror elements, so that definitely says a lot of the author.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Anonymous said...

I don't consider myself a horror reader, but Paul's writting is just so amazing that I can't help but read. Excellent writter whom I definitely recommend!

Stephanie

Post a Comment