Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Movies and TV

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Saturday we’ll offer recommendations for movie and TV lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Barb says...
I love this time of year for one reason only...season premiere's! As most of you know, I despise cold weather but I love TV. So many shows, so little time. Two of my favorites had their season premiere last week and neither one failed me.

My Picks of the Week: Grey's Anatomy and Criminal Minds
You wouldn't think it but these 2 shows have something in common. Both of their season finale's had me on the edge of my seat saying, "Please don't die. Please don't die!" So, there I was at the premiere, on the edge of my seat once again but this time saying, "Did they die? Did they die?" The answer? No, yes and no.

So Grey's had me in tears for the entire 2 hours and Criminal Minds had me shaking my head in awe at how they set up the rest of the season in one short episode and what a season it will be.

What season premiere's did you like?

SIS Bren says…
I love this time of year. It’s finally starting to cool off a little outside and the holidays are coming. I get excited thinking about all of the festivities of the fall and early winter months. Halloween is just around the corner and it puts me in the mood for costumes and scary stories. This week I think I’ll pick a “scary” movie.

My Pick of the Week:
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
I don’t think this movie was scary as much as it was oddly humorous. I know a lot of people wouldn’t care for this movie, but I happened upon it one day while channel surfing, and I couldn’t turn it off!

From IMDb: Shaun is a 29-year-old with no real ambition in life, much to the consternation of his friends, family, and fed-up girlfriend. With only a loyalty to his lazy best friend Edgar, a dead-end job where his employees step on him, and the good-ol' days, Shaun isn't exactly putting his best foot forward. But when the flesh-hungry undead start to rise in numbers around modern-day London, Shaun must come to the rescue of his girlfriend and mother before all hell breaks loose. With loyal Edgar at his side to fight the good fight, the two will have to pave their way through zombie-ridden London as Shaun must take on the first real challenge in his life--with comical results

And a few Taglines:
It's just one of those days when you're feeling a little...dead.
Buy Milk. Ring Mum. Dodge Zombies
A romantic comedy. With zombies.
In a time of crisis a hero must rise...from his sofa.





SIS Beth says...
Since I'm on a Disney kick, this week I'm recommending one of my favorite Disney films. I say one, because I have many. In fact, I think I've adored every Disney flick ever made. Is it any wonder I write happily-ever-afters? This particular film stars a dog and cat and a too-cute-for-words hamster. As always I fell in love with the characters and heartfelt message of the story. Funny, thrilling, and, yes, it made me cry.



My Pick of the Week: Bolt (2008)
Here's one of my favorite scenes (one of many). Bolt learning how to do 'the dog face'.



9 comments:

Olga said...

I used to love Grey's Anatomy, but I'm more into Scrubs now. Criminal Minds sound very intriguing!

Barb said...

Hi Olga!

Beth is a Scrubs fan too. I've never seen it but she says I should watch it. I'll see if I can fit it in.

SIS Barb

Richard said...

Thank goodness for FREE On Demand -- ALLOWS me to watch all the premieres I miss at their ACTUAL times.
LOVE "Shaun Of The Dead"!! BRILLIANT (as have been most movies I've seen with Simon Pegg in it -- and wasn't he a great "Scotty"?).
Bolt -- one of the better, recent Disney flicks.
My contribution -- you know how you KNOW you've seen EVERY sequel in a movie franchise (Halloweens, Freddy Kruegers, etc.), and you just assume/tell yourself that you, of COURSE, saw the first one? Today, happening to catch it on Encore (read: no ads - the ONLY way to fly!) right at the beginning, I ate breakfast thinking I would REwatch this classic movie .. for a while, anyway. Of course, right off the bat, I realized I had never seen anything but bits and brief pieces of this 4-star Oscar-winning First Part, and most of THOSE moments coming from the END of this 2-hour flick! And, OH, how far superior than its MANY sequels! So, I would suggest watching the ORIGINAL --

ROCKY-a 1976 film written by and starring Sylvester Stallone and directed by John G. Avildsen. It tells the rags-to-riches American Dream story of Rocky Balboa, an uneducated but good-hearted debt collector for a loan shark in Philadelphia. Balboa is also a club fighter who gets a shot at the world heavyweight championship when the scheduled contender breaks his hand. Also starring in Rocky are Talia Shire as Adrian, Burt Young as Adrian's brother Paulie, Burgess Meredith as Rocky's trainer Mickey Goldmill, and Carl Weathers as the champion, Apollo Creed.

Who knew?;-)

Tori Lennox said...

I'm not really into medical shows, so I generally give those a pass. I've also gotten burnt out on most of the crime dramas. But the shows I'm most looking forward to won't return until January. Lost and 24. :)

Barb said...

Richard,

I love ROCKY and it is definitely better than the sequels.


Tori,

I believe DAMAGES starts in January as well. Love the show but admittedly the first season was much better than the 2nd. I'm a tad nervous for the 3rd.

SIS Barb

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, I've never seen Grey's Anatomy, but I've heard form more than a few people that's addictive.

Bren, I didn't see Shaun of the Dead, but Steve did. He loved it!

Olga, I LOVE SCRUBS! :-)

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Richard, I thought ROCKY was a great film. I remember that I enjoyed it very much--the film AND the soundtrack.

Tori, I only saw season one of LOST. I thought it was awesome, but I just haven't been able to watch much TV. The good news is (as soon as I get time), I can view all the seasons now on DVD withOUTcommercials! Same goes for 24, a show that's also intrigued me.

SIS Beth

Taylor said...

I'm still waiting for 30 Rock to come back on TV - but sadly I work Thursday nights now so I have to catch it online!! Ah, I have season 3 on DVD to tide me over for now.

Bren - Shaun's a great pick, and especially since it has zombies! I'm an avid zombie-film lover, so good choice!

Beth - I might've mentioned I saw UP recently and LOVED it. I don't know if you've seen it yet but I think it's going to be an extra special Disney movie that's gonna be on your list someday! It seriously has everything I could ask for in a movie haha.

Mary Stella said...

Grey's Anatomy began to annoy me last year but now I'm semi-hooked on Private Practice. VERY gripping season premier.

My favorite new show of the season is Modern Family -- love the writing, the offbeat characters and the mockumentary style!

Post a Comment