Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Creature Feature

Wednesday, October 21, 2009



I have recently started work on a new project, one that I am very excited about. I've always wanted to write a children's book and decided that there is no time like the present to get started. I know I already have a WIP and I'm not totally abandoning it. I just have these ideas that I need to get out before I lose them.

I'm hoping that my book will appeal to children from around the ages of 8-15. I remember being that age and being full of imagination. My book is full of imagination...well, so far. I have so many things to create and am thrilled about it.

Imagination is a wondrous thing. The possibilities are endless. I'll be able to take any object and transform it into something unique and then even get to name it. I also will be able to consult my two sons. They both ooze imagination.

Both of my children love to read. Happy (my little guy) is currently on the 4th Harry Potter. He polishes them off rather quickly. Grumpy (my teen-aged son) just finished a book from the Looking Glass Wars series. We bought the book early Thursday evening and he finished it Friday night. It's fun to listen to them as they describe what they have been reading.

I had what I thought was a great and original premise for my book. I was so excited to tell Grumpy about it. He stood there listening to me with a smile on his face the entire time. I thought, "Oh man! This must be a great idea!". When I finished, he said "Mom, you just described the characters of ____________". This was a very popular book, and one I haven't even read one page of, nor do I know anything about it.

Now I know a lot of books share the same ideas and the authors just change things up a bit. But I really was hoping for a unique idea. I guess I'll have to ponder a while longer. I won't let that slow me down though. I still have oodles of things to imagine.


Currently, I am creating creatures. Some of my creatures dwell in the heavily forested mountainsides while others inhabit a huge mysterious lake. Some of my creatures are cute and friendly, some are very dangerous, even deadly.

I've created one creature already. He is very cute, but deadly. I have challenged my niece, Drama, to design a creature. If she comes up with something I want to use, she'll win a prize of some kind. I'm not sure what yet. I'll give her credit in my book. Now that's being optimistic.

What about you? If you could imagine any creature at all, what would it be? What would you name it?


Hoping you have a very imaginative day!
SIS Bren

16 comments:

Elle J Rossi said...

Bren,


Seeing as I've had a sneak peek at this new endeavor, I can confirm that it is/will be fabulous. The imagery and characterization are superb and I can't wait to read more.

Drama has been working hard on her creature and is eager to send it to you soon. I think you'll like it although in my opinion, the name needs a little help!

So, here's my creature:

Name: Humph

Demeanor: Grumpy

Appearance: Head shaped like a mushroom which stinks because they are about the same size.

About them: They got their name because when you step on them they make the "humph" sound. When the people hear it, they reach down, pick them up, shake them back into form and apologize. They really are kind little creatures and everyone excuses their moments of grumpiness because who wouldn't be grumpy when they get squished all the time?

How they can help you: If you are very nice to them, they will stand on each others shoulders to build an impenetrable "mushroom" wall so that you have time to escape the bad creatures!

Have a great day,
SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb,

That's absolutely great! When I read the name I pictured something completely different so I was pleasantly surprised to read your description. I love that you can shake them back into form!

I can't wait to hear Drama's idea. I'm sure it's great!

SIS Bren

BJ said...

Hi Bren, I am having trouble coming up with a story line as well. It seems that what ever I think of has already been written. As for a creature? I'll have to get back to you on that one. Though I do like Barbs.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Bren, I loved stories as a grade schooler with imaginative worlds and creatures. Loved finding out what powers they had, and the fight between good and evil.

I have a few creatures I'm working on and if I told ya, I'd have to kill ya, lol!

Go for it. It sounds wonderful!

Tori Lennox said...

I have one story I've got almost a full manuscript for (notice I didn't say it was anywhere near finished *g*) that has a creature in it. But it's not one I created exactly. I'm 95% sure it's a pooka.

Then in another story I have shapeshifter sort of creature. It's a creature most of the time but can, if the need arises, take on the form of a human. Not to be confused with my other shapeshifters (in another story LOL) who are primarily human but shift into animals.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

B.J.,

I'm sure a story line will pop into your head when you least expect it. It will be on of those AH-HA moments. Just because something has been done before doesn't mean that you can't do it, but with a twist.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Sia,

Although I would like to hear about your creatures, I'm not quite ready for death yet! I'll have to wait until they come out in print!

I think it's so much fun to get lost in a make-believe place. And like you said, to find out what powers they have. I think I've said this before at SIS, but I can remember being about 11 years old and spinning round and round in my living room to see if I might turn in to Wonder Woman!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori,

I feel sort of stupid. Should I know what a pooka is? Maybe I'll Google it.

Um, just how many stories do you have going? You are definitely a multi-tasker.

Your shapeshifters sound like they would be fun to write about. There must be all sorts of possibilities.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Lots to say...

First, Brenda, I think that it's fantastic that you're writing a children's story. You absolutely have the imagination for it and hey, how lucky are you to have two young sons as Beta Readers!

World building is fascinating, something I'm about to take on myself, although with an adult project. There are several excellent how-to books on fantasy and world building. Having an kick-butt imagination is a bonus!

Envious that Barb got a senak peek at your new project. *hint-hint*

Imagine away and write like the wind!!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb... A Humph? Somthing tells me you'll have no problem creating the supernatural beings in your paranormal. ;)

BJ... I think I read somewhere that there are only seven original storylines (or something like that) and everything else is a variation on those. 'Cinderella' has been done a bajillion times, but with a bajillion twists. If you love your idea, run with it and make it your own!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Sia... Heh. :)

Tori... You're shapeshifter has a unique twist. Love it!

Brenda... I went through that Wonder Woman phase too. So either you were younger than eleven, or I was a weird teen. Hmm.

SIS Beth

Olga said...

Can't wait to hear about Drama's idea either! I remember making up ideas of some creatures when I was a kid but forgot by now. Btw, Humph sounds interesting and very cute!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

Thanks for the info...I'll have to check out those how-to books.

I'll forward my idea to you when I get a little more done. Just kind of getting all of the ideas down right now.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Olga,

I wish I had taken my teacher's advice when I was young and kept a journal. There are so many things that I wish I could remember.

I've been imagining Barb's Humph all day!

SIS Bren

Elle J Rossi said...

Okay,

If this is a contest I'm pretty sure I won! I want my prize! Don't make me stick the Humph's on you.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Tori Lennox said...

Bren, a pooka is spirit thingie (technical term, LOL) that lives with elves. Which is a lousy description. *g* Okay, from Wikipedia: "a deft shape shifter, capable of assuming a variety of terrifying forms. It may appear as a horse, rabbit, goat, goblin, or dog. No matter what shape the pĂșca takes, its fur is almost always dark. It most commonly takes the form of a sleek black horse with a flowing mane and luminescent golden eyes." (I don't see what's so terrifying about any of those forms myself, but your mileage may vary. *g*)

I have TONS of stories started. Finishing them is the problem. :)

Post a Comment