Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Music

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Tuesday we’ll offer recommendations for music lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening


SIS Barb says...
I don't have a recommendation this week, but I do have an idea. I was on my way to work the other day when it popped into my head. I am a genius, I thought to myself. Absolutely brilliant.
I wish I could share it with you but then it might get out and I won't get credit for it.

Just kidding! Here it is...I would like the big names of country, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill and others to collaborate on an album together. I want them to countrify Mozart, Beethovan, Bach, all the classical geniuses of yesteryear. I think it would be truly fantastic.

What do you think? What would you like to hear?

SIS Beth says…
Lots of writers listen to music while they work. They find it inspiring. I’m one of writers who works best in silence. Still, there are times when I choose to work downstairs… on the couch alongside my husband. As one who works night after night, locked away in my writing room alone, I sometimes find his presence a much needed comfort. Except, he’s always watching TV. I can’t write, I can’t create my own story when someone else’s dialogue is blaring in my ears. That’s when headphones (or in my case, ear buds) and music proves my salvation and, yes, my inspiration.

My pick of the week: Pandora

It’s not an artist or an album. It’s a place. A free internet radio site. A site where you can personalize the kind of music you want to hear. If I’m cleaning my writing room and just want happy, cool rock to spur me on, I listen to my Lisa Loeb channel. I typed in Loeb as a fave artist and Pandora searched and found, not only her songs, but songs and artists similar to her style.

When I write, I can’t compete with lyrics. Instrumentals only, please. I prefer movie soundtracks. Always emotional. Always inspiring. To me anyway. My picks? Composers John Williams and James Horner. MAGIC! Treat yourself now and join. http://www.pandora.com

8 comments:

B.J. said...

Barb, I would like to hear the lyrics they put to classical music. That would be funny.

B.J. said...

Beth, I signed up for Pandora. Thanks for the great tip. I love it!

Beth Ciotta said...

BJ, Pandora's awesome, isn't it? One of my personalized channels plays all New Age... another Celtic. I think I put in the buzz words Yanii and Enya. What channels did you create?

SIS Beth

Liz Kreger said...

Gotta check out Pandora. Sounds awesome. I have to have silence when I write. Maybe the radio waves interfer with the brain waves ... who knows. When revising ... gotta have music. Helps relax me.

B.J. said...

Beth, I put in Laura Powers and Enya came up. I have a Celtic folk and a celtic rock channel.

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

I actually don't want there to be any lyrics. I just want them to contrify it instrumentally. I think it would be phenomenal.

SIS Barb

Elle J Rossi said...

Beth,

I'm going to check out Pandora too. They do country, right?

SIS Barb

Elle J Rossi said...

Big waves to Liz,

Thanks for hanging with us today.

Silence when you write? What is silence?????? LOL. I actually think I've learned to write with all the chaos of children around me. I don't know what I'd do with silence.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Post a Comment