Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Masquerade

Wednesday, October 28, 2009


What is it about dressing up as someone or something else that appeals to people of all ages? From a very young age, most of us get dressed in costume, with the help of our parents, and stroll through the neighborhoods with treat bag in hand, knocking on doors, and collecting all the goodies we can fit into said bag. I still remember the excitement of sitting on the living room floor, dumping out the candy and sorting out my likes and dislikes and trading with my siblings.

I’m sure the prospect of candy-collecting is what fuels our desire to dress up when we are children. But why do grown adults continue to dress up year after year, long after they have outgrown their trick-or-treating days? For some it may be the chance of winning a prize in a costume contest. Some may be forced to participate because their work requires them to do so. But I think for most people, there is a different reason.

As children, we play pretend. We pretend through our Barbies, we pretend with tea sets, we pretend with sticks that we are Ninjas. We escape to another world where we can be anybody or anything we want. I think this carries on to our adulthood. I think people simply enjoy abandoning the mundane role of being themselves, and for one night, they can create an alter-ego that allows them to be anyone or anything!

For most people, Halloween is the only time of year that it is acceptable to play “dress up”. But for some, like actors, role-playing is almost an every day occurrence. Actors get to step into many different “costumes” through-out their careers. But it occurred to me that there is another lucky group, people who can be some one or something else any time they want.

Writers. As a writer, you can simply allow your mind to wander, and create worlds, people, events, creatures…the list goes on and on and the possibilities are endless. You can put yourself into the story and see through the eyes of your characters and imagine what it would be like to be them. You can dress in anything you like, make your hair any color you choose, and have any career you desire. You can take aspects of your own life, and change them if you like. And you can do that any day of the year!

As an adult, I’ve never really been a fan of dressing up in costume for Halloween. But I do love escaping from myself and stepping into another world. That’s why I’ve always loved reading and why I now aspire to be the best writer I can be…and hopefully a published one.

So my questions are, do you enjoy the physical act of masquerading? If you could be any character, what or who would you be? What types of characters do you enjoy writing or reading about?


A Wonderful Wednesday to everyone!

SIS Bren

17 comments:

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Happy monday to you!

To be honest, I've never been big on Halloween. I don't even remember getting excited about dressing up when I was a kid. But that's just me.

However, I think I would really enjoy attending a masquerade ball, the kind where I get to wear the beautiful dress and then hold the small mask up to my face. What fun!

This year I may actually end up dressing up. I'm really getting into witches and enchantresses and would LOVE to wear a cloak. I've been on a mission to find a really good one that I can wear out and not just on Halloween. I know this stems from the Paranormal I'm working on. It's allowed me to escape into another world, an exciting world of magic and power. Who wouldn't want to be there?

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Wow! Can you tell I need coffee. I just said Happy Monday????? I now change that to Wonderful Wednesday!

SIS Barb (slamming coffee as I type this)

BJ said...

Brenda, Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love to dress up, usually as a witch, but then I'm always a little witchy.

BJ said...

Barb, Try the store Hot Topic to find a cloak. They sometimes carry them. If not there are on- line stores that sell gothic style clothing.

SIS Brandy said...

I am like Barb when it comes to dressing up for halloween. I was never really all that into it. Now Omar on the other hand loves it. He always dresses up when he takes the boys trick-or-treating. He makes a fabulous vampire!!

I wish I could get lost in my own created world like writers do. For some reason my mind just doesn't quite work that way. I love reading things about vampires, witches, ghosts and stuff. I am amazed as I read that people are able to come up with these stories and how detailed they are.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb,

This time of year, I often imagine what it would be like to dress for a masquerade ball. I see it as you do, a big beautiful dress, hair piled high, and a mask that I hold up to my eyes.

I would love to be in Venice, Italy for Carnevale. The masks are incredible!

I love cloaks, and if I lived where I needed one, I would own one also!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

B.J.,

I would have guessed that Halloween is your favorite holiday. You are witchy, in a very good way! I'll bet the girls have lots of fun on Halloween with you!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Brandy,

I'll bet Omar does make a great Vampire. Maybe this year he should round up some of your pet bats and take them with him!

I didn't enjoy dressing up as a kid much either, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love all of the candy!

I also am amazed with the intricate details that
writers use to describe their worlds...a feat I hope to accomplish.

SIS Bren

~Sia McKye~ said...

I do. But I'm not a fan of Halloween.

When I did plays, it was always fun to dress up and assume someone else's persona. If there's a chance to do masquerades, I jump.

Writing allows you mentally to get into someone else's head and I love it. But, still, gimme a real masquerade. Must be the little girl in me!

Tori Lennox said...

I love playing dress-up even as an adult! One thing I loved when I lived in Texas, I had friends who introduced me to the Renaissance Festivals. Wow. I got to dress up and pretend I was a princess and had courtly men bowing to me and it was SO. MUCH. FUN! :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Bren, as you know, I worked as a full time character actress here in Atlantic City for many years. I dressed up every day in some or another costume and pretended to be some or another person... or thing. Heh. It was great fun pretending be someone else, especially historical characters like a pirate, Musketeer, princess, flapper, etc. But now that I'm retired from that biz, I can't say I have much desire to dress up for Halloween. Been there, done that, a million times. BUT I will because every one at the library is dressing up that day. Luckily, unlike most people, I have an entire closet of costumes to choose from!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

I forgot to mention that one of the things Ilove best about writing is that you get to live in so many people's (character's) shoes. Why just last night I envisioned myself as my current heroine zip-lining through the Amazon jungle!

Great post, Brenda!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, check out these cloaks at The Pyramid Collection. Scroll to the bottom of page for more colors. http://tinyurl.com/yll4g5x

BJ, I want witch pics of you!

Brandy, I want a vampire pic of Omar! Hey. Maybe you could be Bella to his Edward.

Sia, I didn't know you were a theater gal. So cool!

Tori, I've been to many Renn Faire's and I ALWAYS dress up. Well, except last year. Hmm. I'm turning into a fuddy duddy. Eek!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Sia,

The theater...how exciting! Must be so much fun.

I think a hosting a masquerade ball would be great entertainment. Holding a murder mystery dinner type event rates right up there for me too. What a blast!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori,

Don't forget. In our world you are princess every day! The princess of Ifandwhendia!

I would love to attend a Renn Faire! They hold one every year about 15 miles from where I live, I just never seem to make it.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

You are great at assuming another personality. I can remember when you were quite young how you used to stand in front of the mirror and "try on" different expressions. Not in a vain way at all. You were sort of play acting I guess. I envy that. I never felt secure that I could pull off pretending to be someone else. But in my books, I can.

SIS Bren

Tori Lennox said...

Bren, I'd forgotten about Ifandwhendia! LOL!

You should definitely go to the Renn Faire! They're a lot of fun. :)

Post a Comment