Monday, November 2, 2009

Treating Myself

Monday, November 2, 2009


While a lot of people were out tricking this weekend, I decided to stick with the treats--in more ways than one. Yes, I overindulged in the Snickers and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and maybe I had a tad too many Kit Kats and Peanut M & M's but that's not the treat I'm talking about today.

On more than one occasion, I've blogged about my lack of reading time. Writing has taken precedence over that particular joy in my life. I miss my books. I miss the escape. I decided to allow myself to put writing aside for just a few days and really treat myself to a book or two. I did just that and the reward was priceless, plus it had zero calories (unlike the 12 candy bars I consumed).

I figured it would be best to stick with books that were within the same genre of my WIP--the paranormal. Not hard to do since it happens to be my favorite genre to read! These 2 books were particularly inspiring and I'd like to share them with you today in hopes that you'll treat yourself.

1) Seduce Me In Shadow (A Doomsday Brethren Novel) by Shayla Black
This is book 2 in the series and I can tell you that book 1, Tempt Me With Darkness was equally as good. Ms. Black writes about wizards in a way I never expected. Tall, strong, handsome and powerful. They wield wands like a warrior would a sword. The Doomsday Brethren ooze sex appeal. The heroines...equally as appealing. Book 3, Possess Me at Midnight, was just released and will soon be in my greedy little hands!

2) Untouchable by Kresley Cole
Kresley Cole has teamed up with Gena Showalter in a holiday collection called Deep Kiss of Winter. I will start on Ms. Showalter's story, Tempt Me Eternally, tonight. But I will tell you that Kresley Cole has done it again. She is one of my all time favorites. She is amazingly talented and has a way of making you fall in love with all her characters--primary and secondary, male and female, good and bad. While immersed in her stories you find yourself believing in all lore, legends and myths.

Now I'm motivated to get back to writing and have quite a few ideas I need to get down. This was definitely something I needed. A way to recharge!

How do you get recharged?

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

11 comments:

BJ said...

Hi Brab, Happy you found time to read. How do I recharge? Meditation. It does wonder to calm the mind.

Mary Stella said...

Based on your comments, I think I have to try the Shayla Black series. Thanks ,Barb!

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

I'd love if you could share some tips on Meditation. I'm up to try anything that will help me focus!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Elle J Rossi said...

Mary,

I think you would really enjoy this series. If you read it, let me know your thoughts!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Tori Lennox said...

I couldn't NOT read. I'd go crazy. I'm glad you found time to indulge. :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Thanks for the book recs, Barb/Elle. The Shayla Black series sounds especially intriguing to me.

I think it's great that you set aside time for reading. If one doesn't refill the creative well, it will eventually run dry. Also, reading IS working on yor writing. One must read, not only for inspiration but to learn. If you love a book, ask yourself why? Was it the snappy dialogue, the intense supsense, the creative descriptive passages? Did the author use short sentences? Long flowery sentences? Short chapters? Multiple POVs? Etc....

AS for me recharging... that's easy. Reading books and watching movies. Unfortunately I don't recharge near enough.

Shorting out in Jersey.
SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi Beth.

Great suggestions. I always consider reading a part of research (takes some of the guilt away) but I never thought to break it down like that. It makes a ton of sense. Now I'll have to read more. Yippee!!

Sorry you're shorting out. Maybe someone can ZAP you!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb,

It's been so long since I've recharged that I'm not sure I remember how to do it. Right now I would say a nice long hot bath, some candles, and a great book would do wonders for me.

I'm glad you found (or made) the time to read. I really must follow your lead.

SIS Bren

Elle J Rossi said...

Bren,

You'd just fall asleep in the tub and then the house would catch on fire from all those candles. Let's come up with a different way for you to recharge. How about SPA DAY with the ladies (meaning me!)?

SIS Barb/Elle

SIS Brandy said...

I agree with Brenda. The bath, candles, and a book sound fabulous!!! Congrats on the reading time.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb,

There just happens to be a world class spa 5 minutes from my house! I would love to go!

SIS Bren

Post a Comment