Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pop Culture--SIS Style

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Saturday we celebrate Pop Culture. Movies, TV, books, music, games, trends in style... you get picture. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!


SIS Beth says...

Pop culture includes games, right? As I cram on deadline (hard, hard work), I reflect on a night devoted solely to fun. A night this past summer with my sister BJ, and her young daughters. On a whim, I asked BJ to drop by a department store. I wanted to see if they had a card game I remembered from my youth. UNO. They did! Can I tell you it was the best few dollars I've spent in a long while? It's a card game for all ages! Even BJ's youngest got the gist (How old is Monster?). Soon after the first round, BJ's husband (thirties) joined in. As well as our niece and nephew--late teens/early twenties. I'm in my late forties. We ALL had a blast!! Good old fashioned fun. Highly recommended.


My GAME pick of the week: UNO


SIS BJ says...

A single word can be a world and every letter a land.

A rune drawn upon the ground can have curious consequences, might invite adventure, may open ancient doors. Here are the Runes of Elfland. Here are songs of the shining lands. Here are signs of crossing and threshold. Here are the stories of fate and illumination.

Chant the charm, tell the tale, and step across...


So it says in the introduction of The Runes of Elfland by artist Brian Froud and story teller Ari Berk.

In this book, there are 24 runes with 24 stories. Each story has a gift to give. Each story is shrouded in mystery. Travel to the Land of Faery with beautiful artwork and poetic words.

This book is great for people of all ages. Sit back, read, and get ready to be taken to different lands of ancient memories.

My BOOK Pick of the Week: The Runes of Elfland
Artist: Brian Froud
Written by: Ari Berk
SIS Bren says...
The other night I had quite a rare treat. We watched not one, but two, of my favorite movies back to back. I've seen them before, but I sat, riveted, as if it were my first viewing. One, I'm sure I've recommended before...the other, most have probably already seen. But I'd like to mention them again.
My MOVIE Pick of the Week: The Count of Monte Cristo and Braveheart
If you want an action-packed evening, these two make a great double feature. Lost loves, betrayal, revenge...they cover it all. I am always amazed by the battle scenes in Braveheart. If you've seen them before, now would be a good time to re-visit!
SIS Barb and Brandy say...
Yeah. What those three said!! Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

SIS BJ said...

Beth, I had a great time that night. Lots of laughter. Monster wants Yahtzee for Christmas. do you remember that game?

SIS BJ said...

Bren, I love Braveheart. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen it. Your right, the battle scenes are awesome.

Olga said...

I've seen both movies more times than I can count. Both are amazing!

Beth Ciotta said...

BJ, I had a blast playing UNO too. And, oh, yes, I remember YAHTZEE! Great game. Monster has good taste. :-)

As for you Book rec, I'm definitely going to check out 'The Runes of Elfland.' I adore that opening line.

"A single word can be a world and every letter a land."

Beautiful!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Brenda,

I thought 'The Count of Monte Cristo' was a wonderful film. I own it on DVD, but haven't see it in forever.

As for Braveheart, it's one of my top five all time fave movies. I've seen it countless times. As for the battle scenes, amazingly enough, in all the times I've seen the movie I've never watched a battle scene straight through without closing my eyes! Way to gruesome for moi.

One of the best parts of BRAVEHEART? The expression on William Wallace's (Gibson's) face when he realizes he's been betrayed by Robert the Bruce. He said it all with his eyes. Wow.

SIS Beth
SIS

Anonymous said...

A friend sent me a link to your very kind words about my book, _The Runes of Elfland_. Thank you! I was delighted to hear you were enjoying it. If anyone wanted to know more about it, or read reviews, etc., more can be found on that book, as well others, on my website.

www.ariberk.com

Best wishes,
Ari

Post a Comment