Monday, November 23, 2009

POW--BAM--WHOOSH

Monday, November 23, 2009


What do you do when you come to a scene in your WIP where you have absolutely no personal experience to draw from? That's exactly what is happening to me right now. I'm working on a fight scene. Not a verbal fight--that I could handle--I've been in quite a few of those. And not a battle of sarcasm either--I think I could definitely hold my own in that confrontation.

Nope. This one is a knock down, drag out physical brawl. Oh! And there's just a tad of magic and supernatural powers thrown into the mix. I guess I should be proud of the fact that I've never been in a fist fight, but right now I'm wishing I had at least socked somebody once or twice. LOL
I want to know how it feels to get my nose broken or how my knuckles would throb after knocking someone on their arse. I know, I'm being a little dramatic. I wouldn't really want to know what it feels like but I'd sure like to know how to write it.

I'll muddle through it and I'm sure I'll have to do some research in the form of reading fight scenes seeing as I don't actually want to pick a fight with anyone. But if anyone knows of another way I can improve in this aspect of my writing, I'm all for it!

Today I'm taking any and all hints and suggestions about fight scenes. Let's hear it people. Tell me your personal experiences or just your personal thoughts. I'm all ears!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

8 comments:

SIS BJ said...

Hi Barb,

Go to a Ty Kwon Do class and ask if you can watch so you can get ideas for non magical fights.

Watch magical movies: Lord of the Rings, Willow, Harry Potter etc. They can give you ideas for magical fights.

Good luck!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Thanks BJ!

Actually, I was researching Taekwondo online and found a couple of things and we have a friend who owns that type of business. I had thought about asking him a few questions but I like your idea better. Now I'll ask him if I can sit in!

I've seen the first Lord of the Rings movie but it was quite awhile ago so I'll have to re-watch.

Thank you so much,
SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Beth Ciotta said...

Try this site, Barb/Elle. Fantastic tips on writing fight scenes!

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1036340-Writing-fight-scenes

Also, find passages in stories you've enjoyed and study how that author handled fight/action scenes. Most fresh in my mind, the fight sequences in Harlan Coben's 'LONG LOST'

You can do it!
SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

Beth,

That was awesome. I checked out the site and it's very helpful. Much appreciated, SISta!

I love Harlen Coben. LOVE HIM! I haven't had a chance to read 'LONG LOST' but now I can use research as an excuse.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Tori Lennox said...

Okay, the first time I wrote a fight scene, I choreographed it in my living room. I'm sure I looked very silly but since nobody saw me, I didn't worry about that. It was actually kind of fun. :)

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi Tori,

I'm not worried if people see me. They all think I'm nuts anyway. I'll get Comedy and Drama to fight me and see what we come up with.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Olga said...

I like the idea of watching the class. Also, maybe watching some movies with fight scenes in slow motion and maybe rewinding as needed. For ex., I think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would be good for this purpose. Besides, it's a great movie!

Elle J Rossi said...

HI Olga,

Thanks for the tip. I honestly don't think I ever had a chance to see that movie although I've heard great things about it. I need to rectify that asap.

Happy Thanksgiving!
SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Post a Comment