Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pop Culture -- SIS Style

Saturday, November 21, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Saturday we celebrate Pop Culture. Movies, TV, books, music, games, trends in style... you get picture. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS BJ says...
Magic, sorcery, swordfighting, friendship, laughter, and love is everything I like in a movie. In the movie WILLOW, it has all of this and more.

From the back cover:

When young Willow Ufgood (Warwick Davis) finds an abandoned baby, he is suddenly thrust into an adventure filled with magic and danger. According to an ancient prophecy, the sacred child is destined to end the reign of the evil sorceress Queen Bavmorda (Jean Marsh). Now, with only a single swordsman (Val Kilmer) at his side, Willow must overcome the forces of darkness that threaten to destroy anyone who stands in the Queen's way!

Even though this movie was made in 1988, it is one of my all time favorites. The book is even better.

My MOVIE Pick of the Week: WILLOW

SIS Barb says:
Lately I've taken the time to watch a couple of movies. All I can say is thank goodness for ON DEMAND. It allows me the freedom to watch whenever I can spare the time. Two weeks ago I watched a movie with breathtaking scenery and a moving story. Another movie that didn't end the way I would have liked but instead ended as it should. Edward Norton and Naomi Watts played their roles perfectly.

from imdb: The Painted Veil is a love story set in the 1920s that tells the story of a young English couple, Walter, a middle class doctor and Kitty, an upper-class woman, who get married for the wrong reasons and relocate to Shanghai, where she falls in love with someone else. When he uncovers her infidelity, in an act of vengeance, he accepts a job in a remote village in China ravaged by a deadly epidemic, and takes her along. Their journey brings meaning to their relationship and gives them purpose in one of the most remote and beautiful places on earth.

My Pick of the Week: The Painted Veil (2006)

8 comments:

Brandy said...

Sorry!!! I didn't get a pick in again!! I am such a slacker.

I remember Willow. I haven't seen that one in years. The Painted Veil sounds good. I'll have to put it on my "to watch" list

Tori Lennox said...

I loved Willow! Never even heard of The Painted Veil, though.

Beth Ciotta said...

I actually logged in and posted my pic this morning. It disappeared! Man. Will save it for next week.

Can you believe I've never seen WILLOW? Sounds like something I'd love, too.

As to PAINTED VAIL, we have that at the library. Always catches my eye. Now that I know it's worthy of a SIS rec, I'll have to watch it!

Up in New York for my in-laws 60th Wedding Anniversary. 60 years! Can you imagine? :)

SIS Beth

Olga said...

THE PAINTED VEIL sounds amazing; definitely worth checking out. And, Beth, Happy 60th Anniversary to your in-laws!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

BJ,

I know I've seen Willow. Val Kilmer is really ringing a bell but I can't remember the details. That means I will have to find it and watch it. Is it child appropriate, one maybe Drama and I can watch together?

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Brandy, Beth,


WHATEVER!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori and Olga,

I really think you would enjoy THE PAINTED VEIL. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

SIS Barb

SIS BJ said...

Hi Barb, I have ON DEMAND as well. Will have to check out The Painted Veil. I did watch The Changeling. great movie.

Both of my girls have seen Willow and loved it.There are some funny parts that they love.

Post a Comment