Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Dog's Life

Wednesday, November 18, 2009








I’ve often thought, “If I could do it all again” followed by all of the things I would have done differently in my life. A lot of things I would have kept the same…but some things would definitely have to change. But I guess our past is what makes us what we are today.

If I had taken a different path in life, then there’s a good chance that I wouldn’t have my two amazing children. There’s a chance I wouldn’t have met and married my wonderful husband. I probably wouldn’t be sitting here typing my random thoughts for all our great friends at SIS to read.

So while there are things that I wish I could go back and not necessarily change, but do much better, I would keep my life pretty much the same. I’m grateful for the years I spent as a singer/entertainer. It afforded me many experiences I would probably never have enjoyed if I hadn’t followed that path. Plus, it gives me plenty to draw from when I am writing characters into a scene.

But what if my life was not my life? What if you could go so far back that you could choose what you want to be? And by what I mean which species. What if you could choose to be absolutely anything?




This is Moose. Moose has a good life. He wakes up every morning at whatever time he pleases. He then wakes me, whether I am ready to get up or not. He goes outside and runs around sniffing for a while, does his business, finds a stick, and then comes back to the door where he jumps up on the glass to let me know to get my butt over there and open the door.

He comes inside and his food and drink are waiting for him. He doesn’t have to shop for it or prepare it. He just gets to eat it and enjoy it. Then Moose comes over and licks me for a while, which then turns into chewing because he’s still a puppy and I guess now he’s decided it’s play time.


This is Dizzy, my very loyal companion for 7 years now. Tomorrow is his birthday. Poor Dizzy. He has become Moose’s chew toy. He used to have this big, white, long, fluffy tail. See, Moose likes to pretend he’s a baby elephant. He likes to grab on to Dizzy’s tail as they run laps around the table. I don’t think Dizzy likes this too much.

So Moose has it good. He plays hard for a while and then lays down and has a nap. Nobody bothers him while he naps. No one asks him for anything. He just sleeps until he’s ready to get up. Then he goes outside again, and he plays some more, oh and he goes for walks. He gets to go for car rides where he hangs his head out the window enjoying the wind in his face. He gets much love and attention, and of course he gets treats!

Maybe I would choose to be Moose if I could do it all over again. I know he can’t do things like drive a car or write a book or take pictures, but all in all, he’s got it pretty good. He gets plenty of nourishment, shelter and tons of affection. Mind you, I don’t want to be just any dog. Today, my choice would be Moose. Ask me again tomorrow and I’ll probably have a completely different answer.

So tell me, who or what would you like to be and why? Remember, you can be anyone. Any species…

SIS Bren

6 comments:

SIS BJ said...

Hi Bren,

Great post. I would want to be:

1. A dolphin, so I could swim through the seas.
2. A hawk, so I could fly high in the skies.
3. A cheetah, so I could run as fast as I could over the Earth.
4. A ground hog, so I could dig tunnels under the Earth.

Barb said...

Bren,

I love these kind of questions. So much fun! I would love to be a renaissance woman. I love the clothing and the hairstyles from that period and how everyone worked hard at life. My husband would be a mighty warrior in the kings army.

I would also love to be a wild mustang.

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

B.J.

I often thought of being a bird of some kind or a big cat, but never a ground hog. I never thought about what's under the ground. Great choices!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barb,

I too love the clothing and hairstyles of the renaissance period. Interesting times, and very hard times I'm sure.

A wild mustang is a perfect fit for you. You could run through the countryside with your long black mane flowing in the wind! So you!

SIS Bren

Olga said...

I would have also done some things differently in life. But at the end of its all, I'd still rather be a human being. And me in particular!

Bren said...

Hi Olga,

Being a human being is incredible. Doing all the things that we can that other creatures can't is something we should never take for granted.

SIS Bren

Post a Comment