Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Writer's Block

Tuesday, December 29, 2009


I have sat here staring at the computer for the last hour. Not a single thing comes to mind to write about. I think I have lost a few brain cells straining for ideas!! I have been struck with total writers block.

I guess I could talk about the weather. Did you know it's too freaking cold out?

Or I could talk about Christmas. You've probably had enough of that.

Or what about New Years? Shoot, I don't even know what my resolutions would be!

Work? Boring!!!

AAAHHH! It's driving me crazy! I can't come up with two or three paragraphs of something creative.

Pretty much everyone here does a lot more writing than me. Whether it be books or poetry, I definately am bringing up the rear. It amazes me that others are able to imagine enough scenes, characters, and details to write a whole book! I am pretty sure that somewhere during the writing process just about every author experiences writer's block.

Do you encounter writer's block often? When you do is there anything that helps you break through it?

SIS Brandy

8 comments:

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Morning Brandy,

I know what you mean. I'm going through it right now but I wouldn't call it blocked so much as unfocused.

I just read a blog where a friend posted that writers write. Simple huh? It should be. Whether we're writing a fantastic story or complete crap, we should be writing. That's the only way the book will get finished. I need to focus on that and get my tail in gear.

Next time you're stumped, just ask one of your girls what you should write about. You'd be amazed at the topics your children can come up with.

As far as your post. It turned out to be a good one. This is a topic that many struggle with whether they be writers, artists, career women and men or just someone trying to make it through the day!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

SIS Brandy said...

Barb,

I tried asking the girls for a topic and they all looked at me like I was crazy. They must be stricken with writer's block too!!

SIS BJ said...

Hi Brandy,

There are days when I have no idea what I am going to write about. I think everyone has that problem every now and then.

Like you, I don't have any New Years resolutions yet. I guess I better work on that!

Linda Wisdom said...

I talk to my characters. What are they interested in doing next, that kind of thing. Usually I have to go for a drive to do that. They seem to like road trips, but sometimes they'll settle for a good movie to play in the background.

Tori Lennox said...

I frequently stare at my monitor when I sit down to write. Some days the writing just does not want to make an appearance. Those days I tell myself all I have to do is write one sentence. One. It can be a sentence with just two words, such as "You rang?" As long as I write SOMETHING I don't feel as guilty.

Beth Ciotta said...

Great, Tori. Now I'll have 'Lerch' on my mind all night. :)

Brandy, when I get blocked I step away from the computer and do something else. Generally, I get my best ideas or break throughs when I take a walk, a drive or a shower. Yes, a shower! The water pounds my heads and ignites my creativity. Crazy, but true! It probably boils down to not trying to force the words. As soon as the pressure's off, the ideas come.

If I'm deep into a writing project and find myself blocked for a couple of days, I've learned that it means I've written myself into a corner. My characters are in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing. It may mean deleted a scene or an entire chapter, taking a different route and suddenly I'm soaring.

I've enjoyed reading how others approach writer's block. Great topic!

SIS Beth

SIS Brandy said...

Tori,

I like that you make yourself write at least one sentence. If you just think of one, maybe many more will leap on the computer to go with it.

SIS Brandy said...

Beth,

That is very interesting. I have never thought of the fact that it could just mean you're writing about the "wrong" thing. That makes a lot of sense to me.

And just to make you blush, I have to ask... What are you doing in the shower that makes you think of ideas for your romance books?!?!?!?

Post a Comment