Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pop Culture--SIS Style

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Saturday we celebrate Pop Culture. Movies, TV, books, music, games, trends in style... you get picture. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Beth says...

I grew up watching the original Star Trek TV series. Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty… I followed their adventures even as they jumped to the big screen. Then came Star Trek–The Next Generation. The TV series and the big screen movies. Loved them, too. I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself a Trekkie—I mean they’re pretty extreme, right?—but I’m close.

Imagine my glee when I heard a new Star Trek movie was in the making. A movie based on the original characters. The characters as before the TV series. In other words, a prequel. Bonus: A movie directed by J.J. Abrams, a personal fave. I didn’t get to see it in theaters, it rocked just as heartily on my big screen TV.

My Pick of the Week: Star Trek (2009)

Actor Chris Pine as James T. Kirk. So sexy. So conflicted. Nailed it! Zachary Quinto as Spock. Sensitive and… sexy? Who knew?
I’m pretty confident that you’ll enjoy this film even if you never watched the original series. But honestly? This is a perk, a gift for those of us who were fans of the initial series. Abrams and the writers nailed it. They stayed true to the original characters. It was a hoot to see why they were who they were… maybe. Let’s just say, this movie made it to my permanent collection.

SIS Barb says:
I mentioned yesterday that I made a trip to B & N. I was actually there to do a little Christmas shopping but in the end, I got too wrapped up in books for myself to really make much of a dent in finding gifts for others. You see, books are my thing and when I get to a book store or even the book section at my local grocery store, I truly believe I get hypnotized by all the delicious covers and enticing titles. This is exactly what happened yesterday. While perusing the romance section I spotted these marvelous covers. The bright colors and the art work screamed sexy fun. I flipped them over to read the blurbs and I was hooked!

My Pick of the Week: 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover
As you can tell by the title there is a witch element and that's what sealed the deal for me. My current WIP's heroine is a witch. Now I can read these books and call it research. (works for me)

From the back cover: Jasmine Tremaine is a witch who can't stay out of trouble. Nikolai Gregorovich is a vampire cop on the trail of a serial killer. The sizzling love affair between Jazz and Nick has been on- again off-again for about 300 years--mostly off, lately. Butt now Nick needs Jazz's help, and while Jazz and Nick try to figure out their own hearts and resist their increasing attraction, they must steer clear of a maniacal killer with super-supernatural powers. They are surrounded by a hilarious cast of oddball characters including Irma, the chain-smoking ghost who haunts Jazz's sports car. Dweezil, her ghoul of a boss; and fluff and puff, a pair of bunny slippers with sharp teeth and short tempers (watch your ankles)!

I haven't quite finished this first book of the series but I had to share it with you. Linda Wisdom has a way of writing that draws you into this story with a cast of fantastic characters, descriptive flowing scenery and a fabulous mix of steam and fun. This is a must read!

Author: Linda Wisdom

10 comments:

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

I've never been a Star Trek fan but I've heard wonderful things about this movie. I'll wait for it to be on HBO and then I'll check it out. Maybe this new cast will do it for me. I remember how much Mother liked the series and I believe one of the movies was the only time I remember her actually going to a theatre.

SIS Barb

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks for mentioning Jazz's book, Barb!

Just be careful of Fluff and Puff.

Linda

Tori Lennox said...

Beth, I've heard nothing but good things about the new Star Trek. :)

Barb, told you you'd like it. *g*

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, you wouldn't get some of the references or recognize some of the more minor characters to the original series, but I do think you'd enjoy the new, young cast. If you get a chnace to watch it, I'd be interested in your take.

As to your book rec, sounds great! And you know how I like series. Oh, goody. More books for my TBR pile! ;)

Tori.... Let me know if you watch ST!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Welcome to SIS Linda! Love your website and your books sound great. I know Barb's enjoying them. Any chance you'd guest blog with us some day? We'd love to have you!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Linda.

Jazz and Nick are electric together. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will guest blog with us. It's a lot of fun over here at SIS.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

SIS BJ said...

Beth, I love Star Trek. I used to watch them with mom. Can't wait to see the new movie. Hopefully it will be my next rental.

SIS BJ said...

Barb, The series sounds great. I will have to keep my eye out for them. Love Vamps and Witches.

Linda Wisdom said...

Thanks. I'd love to guest blog. I love your look here.

My dh bought the Star Trek DVD. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Linda

Beth Ciotta said...

Linda,

Barb's going to shoot you an email about guest blogging! Looking forward to your post.

SIS Beth

Post a Comment