Monday, December 7, 2009

It's All About The Experience

Monday, December 7, 2009


I was at a shoe store the other day, just browsing and watching the crowds. I had a cup of chai tea latte from Starbucks. A very sweet sales woman came up to me and told me how wonderful my coffee smelled and that on her first break she was headed out to get some for herself. We actually chatted about coffee for the next 3-4 minutes.

"It's all about the experience, isn't it?" I asked.

She said, "Ya know, you're right. The coffee itself doesn't taste that great but the smell. That's the best part."

"And don't forget how it warms your hands as your holding it."

"Oh," she said, "And the fact that it's a good reason to ask your friends over."

We agreed...Coffee is all about the experience.

I actually ended up buying a pair of winter boots from her that day and the sweet woman gave me a coupon for 20% off. I was thrilled. She saved me about $14. I thanked her over and over again and she said, " Now you have a little extra for some more of that wonderful coffee experience."


We had our first snow of the season overnight and while we don't have much accumulation, it's still very pretty. The grass is dusted with snow, the trees are not quite as naked since losing their leaves. The air? It smells clean and crisp. Almost as good as laundry drying on a clothesline in the summer. Almost. But it's all about the experience of the first snow.


Seeing a movie at the movie theatre? It's loud. You can hear people talking and chomping on their popcorn and answering their cell phones. You have to keep moving around to see past the person with the enormous head seated in front of you. So why do we go? It's all about the experience.

How about you? Can you think of one or two?

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

10 comments:

Taylor said...

Perfect Barb, you've summed up the first snow perfectly! Today is very crisp but not breezy out, it is a wonderful day. And you've highlighted the shopping experience well too. Many go in, rush, and get it over with. I love to browse and take my time and listen to the music overhead and talk to the people. it's all about the experiences. Great post!

SIS BJ said...

Hi Barb, Great post. We enjoyed our first snow as well. I had fun watching the kids at the bus stop trying to make Snow Angels in the little dusting that we got!

Elle J Rossi said...

Taylor,

How about this? The Christmas tree looks great when it's up and finished but there's nothing that compares to the "experience" of getting it to that point!

Enjoy the snow, the music, the lights and most of all the people.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

I had to laugh at Drama and Comedy trying to make snowballs out of snow dust. But we've got a lot more headed our way this week so I'm sure there'll be a lot of snowballs flying before the weekend!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Linda Wisdom said...

So true about the experience.

Hm, the time I went into Brighton and one of the clerks commented on my cologne. We got talking and I left with jewelry while she had bookmarks and was heading to Borders to pick up my book and she also had the name of my cologne, which is Pink Sugar. :}

My addiction to The Body Bakery and being allowed to use their name and scents in my books.

Or Starbucks where I complimented the clerk on her Christmas tree earrings and we started talking holiday jewelry.

My husband said I'll talk to anyone. :}

Linda

Elle J Rossi said...

Yes, Linda. Those are exactly the type of experiences I'm talking about.

I've never heard of The Body Bakery. Is that a local store near you or can any of us find it?

Oh, and I say your experience at Brighton was beneficial to both of you. Could you imagine who we would meet and what we could accomplish if we'd all start talking to each other in elevators?

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Olga said...

I used to love first snow! So soft, fresh, beautiful, expercially when it sparkles in the light of lanterns.... I also liked the experience of freshly baked pies or bread, not even the taste yet, like in the case of coffee, but the scent and the anticipation - of the first bite, or even better, the anticipation of sharing the pie and the conversation with a great friend...

Elle J Rossi said...

Olga,

Beautifully written!

So did you move away from snow or do you just not love it as much?

How about you bake the pies and I'll bring the "cider"?

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Linda Wisdom said...

Elle,

www.thebodybakery.com A total seduction of senses. I love their products.

And I'd go into Brighton no matter what. I love their jewelry!

Linda

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Can't wait to get a whiff of their scents.

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Post a Comment