Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Me? It's my turn?

Wednesday, December 30, 2009


Geez! I’ve been so busy the past couple days that I didn’t even realize it was my turn to write. I just read Brandy’s post and know exactly how she feels about writer’s block. I haven’t even had coffee yet, but I’ll see what I can pull out of my cob-web filled head.

First I would like to say Happy Birthday to Happy, my little guy. He turned 10 yesterday! Wow! I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by. I still remember the day he was born and how he looked like a Glo-worm all snuggled in his blanket and cap. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOO-BOO!

Okay, no putting it off any longer….what to write about?????

I haven’t written in probably two months now. How shameful. But I do intend to get back to it ASAP. Maybe that would be a good way to start the new year. I love my story and my characters and really need to get back to it. I loved Tori’s suggestion yesterday of writing at least one sentence. Chances are, if I wrote just one line, it would lead to several more and I would have a productive writing day every day.

I’ve often wondered if I am approaching this writing thing correctly at all. Of course, writing the story is a necessity. You can’t be an author if you haven’t written the book, duh. But I read about writing classes and writing clubs and I wonder if I am missing out on something huge.

Is it possible to write an excellent piece of work with no formal training at all? Does it just come naturally to some? If it does, I hope that I am one of those blessed people. It’s not that I wouldn’t enjoy attending a writing class, or conference, or club, it’s just that I don’t see it happening anytime soon with all that is going on in my life.

And say that I was able to write an incredible book that just had to get published. Is there any chance for me if I’m not able to attend conferences and shop it around? What are my chances of finding a great publisher?

And then let’s not forget self-promoting. I know it’s necessary to a point, but like Beth mentioned here at SIS before, how much is necessary? I have a personal Facebook, and I haven’t even been able to visit there for months! So how in the world would I keep up a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace…blah blah blah? Is it possible to write a book that virtually sells itself?

As I read back over this, it almost sounds like I’m looking for an easy way out. It’s not that at all, I just wonder about these things. I wonder how I will MAKE the time to attend these classes and conferences and how I will MAKE the time to self-promote. But first I need to MAKE the time to write!

I know I could probably find these answers myself via searching the web, but I thought I would ask you first. What are your suggestions/ experiences? Any advice is appreciated…


Happy Wednesday!

SIS Bren

10 comments:

Linda Wisdom said...

Step one: Write the book. Don't worry about promo or anything else until the book is written and you have a contract in hand. Because, think about it, you can't promo a book that's not coming out, true? So concentrate on that first.

Linda

Tori Lennox said...

Linda makes a very good point. :)

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Linda and Tori,

Yes, I definitely need to focus on getting the book written, but is there a major advantage in getting your name out there even before you have your book completed? Not so much doing promo for a book, but just to make your name recognizable.

SIS Bren

Linda Wisdom said...

There's no advantage to that, Bren. Just concentrate on your writing.

I have a bull whip and know how to use it. :}

Beth Ciotta said...

Happy birthday, Little Guy!!! What a great picture. :)

Brenda, I agree with Linda. Self-promo is the last thing to worry about at this point. That said, I did network quite a bit--meeting industry people, readers and writers in my chosen genre, and participating in things such as contests and special events, writing articles... long before I was published. And, although you must have a strong project in order to sell, I do believe networking not only improved my skills, but offered me a hand up.

You ask many great questions. I'm going to devote my Friday post to them. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, write like the wind!

SIS Beth

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi Bren,

I'm a little nervous about Linda's bull whip! Ouch!

Great questions and ones I think about all the time. I feel both ways about it. I want to put my name out there and meet as many people in the industry so that when I do finish the book, someone may remember my name and think...hmmm, I'll give it a shot.

On the other hand, when I meet people and they ask what book I've written or how many, it kinda stinks to say, "Oh, I haven't finished it quite yet." I take that back. It REALLY stinks.

That being said, our local RWA is hosting the state conference this year. It's in May and I'm determined to have my paranormal finished so that when I meet with people, I can say, "Yep! It's done and here it is!"

Love this post and hope more chime in with their thoughts!

SIS Barb

Elle J Rossi said...

Happy Birthday, Boo Boo! happy Birthday, Boo Boo! Happy Birthday dear Boo Boo! happy Birthday to you! Waaaaaahooooooooo~~~~~


SIS Barb

Mary Stella said...

Hi, Brenda,

I can't believe he's 10! I remember when he was born.

To your question, it's possible to do everything you wondered without ever attending a conference, an RWA meeting or what have you.

That said, you still need to get the knowledge somewhere. You can do it all on your own. You can study novels and learn the difference between active voice and passive voice; correct point of view, etc. I think some people are very organic writers and get the whole pacing, setting, balance thing instinctively. There is still "craft" work to absorb, but you can do it.

If you want outside help, there are lots of online courses.

Whatever the case, don't worry about the selling or the promoting. Right now, your only responsibility is to write the best book possible... and finish it!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice. I will forever imagine Linda's bullwhip every time I write and I think it will be a great motivator!

All of your suggestions have made me eager to get back to writing! I'm actually excited and feeling inspired!

It will be nice to have a finished product and be able to say "I wrote a novel" as opposed to "I'm trying to write a book".

Thank you to all for the wonderful birthday wishes for BooBoo! I will show them to him tomorrow and he will smile in the infectious way he does and remind me why I refer to him as "Happy"!

SIS Bren

Linda Wisdom said...

Once you finish a book, you tackle the editors and say "I have the book I hope you'll be interested in." You can always do your homework to see who's looking for that kind of book.

Let your characters loose and tell their story.

Post a Comment