Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Milestones

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our mom hit the big 7-0 this week. 70! That's crazy. In the words of SIS Barb, "Are you effin kidding me?" I remember when I was 10 and she was 35 and I thought she was so old. So what is she now? She's like...ancient!


Well, not exactly. She still works and keeps up with numerous grandchildren. She's not ancient at all. It's just a number really and besides, 70 isn't quite as old as it used to be.


I don't really think about age all that much. Most of the time, I don't even know how old I am. I have to consciously think about it and then I still can't believe it. It's amazing how quickly the time goes. In my mind, I'm thirty-something and my mom is in her 50's. Now if I could just convince my body of that.


My mom turning 70 has forced me to look back on my life (and hers) and think about what I have achieved. I look at my successes and my failures and what I've learned from them. Some things I still can't figure out, but I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere. The past is exactly that...the past. I can't do anything to change it, I can only draw from my experiences and apply them to life today and in the future.


I have high hopes and big dreams for my future. But all the hoping and dreaming in the world won't make them reality. I need to dig in deep and push hard and earn the things in life that I want. I hope that when I reach the big 7-0, I will look back at my life and think "Wow! What a fantastic ride!" I never want to look at my age and think, "God, I'm old".


I also don't want my life to be a big blur. I never want to wonder where all the time went. I want to always look back on my life and know that I lived it to the fullest. I think it's easy to fall victim to our humdrum routine lives. You know, get the kids off to school, go to work, come home and cook dinner, do the laundry, walk the dogs, and so on and so on. But somewhere in all the chaos, we need to take the time to do something that really counts. Maybe it won't mean anything to anyone else, but something that gives us that feeling of "Hey, I did it!".


So, here's to making each and every day count. Here's to experiencing life and not just watching it pass me by! I am flying to Indiana on Friday and I'll be driving my mom back to Florida with me. While she's here, I hope to help her experience new things, like maybe catching a shark, or better yet...parasailing! Ha! Not a chance!


How does your age affect you? Do you look back on your life and think "I wish...."?


SIS Bren














15 comments:

Krys said...

Brenda,

How my age affects me depends a whole lot on two things: Whether or not I'm actively thinking about it, and the mood I'm in.

It really is true that ignorance is bliss. If I'm not thinking about my age, it truthfully doesn't affect me. Life goes on and the years just add up. That's probably why when I do think about it, it affects me so strongly.
It's weird to think about something happening in my life a whopping 25 years ago, and it's a bit of a shock when I see someone for the first time in that long as well. It makes me wonder how much I've changed in that time.

If I'm in a particularly good mood, I can look back on my life and the years that have gone by pretty much through rose colored glasses. Are there things I wish I had done or done differently or not at all? Sure, but that's life and all in all my life has been pretty good.

On the contrary, a bad mood can make me feel as though my entire life has been a waste, and wonder what the point was. It can make me look to the future with dread. Luckily, those moments are pretty rare.

SIS BJ said...

Hi Brenda

So far my age doesn't bother me. I don't mind growing older. It just means means I'm wiser.

I do look back and wonder what the heck I was thinking. No regrets, just lessons learned.

Alyson Reuben said...

Hi, Brenda! I have to admit that sometimes I wonder if I'm doing everything I should be doing. For instance, am I a good mother? A good wife? A good friend? Am I balancing my life properly? Am I working hard enough to achieve my goals? Etc, etc.

But, overall, I'm content with things as they are. Except for my 'off' days, I feel happy and content. I have a great home life, a wonderful hubby and daughter, terrific friends, and the freedom to pursue my writing dreams.

Hope your mom had a great 70th birthday, btw!

Elle J Rossi said...

Great post, Bren.

I read this early this morning and it had me thinking all day long. I think/know I have regrets. I guess one shouldn't look at it like that, but I do. You know the saying, "If I'd known then what I know now."? That's totally me. I think "I wish I would have..." quite often. Obviously I can't go back and change that now, but I can make sure that I don't make those same mistakes again. My dreams/goals have changed, but I WILL pursue them.

Age doesn't bother me much. Instead of wishing I were younger, I pray/hope I will live a long life. I can't go back, but I sure as hell hope I go forward.

I want to live the rest of my life like that saying on the right hand side of the SIS home page. That's the way everyone should live!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Elle J Rossi said...

Krys,

I agree. Ignorance IS bliss!

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

You made me think too. Instead of asking myself, what the heck was I thinking, like you did, I find myself thinking...Why the heck didn't I?

Elle J Rossi said...

Alyson,

Haven't I taught you anything? Repeat after me...Alyson is amazing. Alyson is amazing...

Alyson Reuben said...

Oh... well, I really didn't answer the question right, did I? Does my age bother me? Heck no. I'm only twenty-one, so of course it doesn't bother me. LOL I crack myself up. Seriously, sometimes it does bother me. Back in my teens, I used to think of thirty-four as old (what was I thinking?!), but now that I've arrived there, it's the new 'young'.

I don't have a lot of regrets. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to go back and relive my childhood and early adult years either. I kind of like being old enough to stay out of most trouble!

Alyson Reuben said...

Thanks, Elle! You made me laugh!

Elle J Rossi said...

Alyson,

Anytime!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Geez! All day long I check the SIS blog and nothing. Then, I went to rehearsal (which went amazingly, thanks for asking) and ta da...you all magically appear. Thanks to SIS Barb for stepping in and replying to everyone's comments.

Krys,

I know exactly what you mean. When I'm in a great mood, which luckily for me is most of the time, I'm pretty content. But if my mood is dark, I can get really down about myself.

Just remember, your life is not a waste at all. I know that my life is better because I met you, and we became friends, and now we have each other to insult when we feel it's necessary. And that's the last nice thing I'm saying to you this month!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

B.J.,

Oooh, I have those "what the heck was I thinking?' moments. Mostly when I look at old pictures, the make up, the hair, the clothes...but sometimes it has to do with a certain situation or a time in my life. Oh well...live and learn.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Alyson,

I wouldn't want to go back and live my young adult years either, unless I could do so knowing what I know now.

I would however love to go back and relive my childhood and even my high school years. Childhood is such a carefree time and although my teen years did have a certain amount of angst, they were some of the best times of my life!

But....Onward and Upward!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Elle,

I don't know that I have regrets, but I do wish I had done some things differently...well, a lot of things actually. But all in all, my life has turned out well so far.

I often think "I should have" or "I wish I would have", but then I think of the reasons why I didn't and I know that I am probably in the right place in my life...(if that makes any sense).

If there is one thing I know about you, it's that you have confidence and determination. Don't you worry about the rest of your life. It will be blessed!

SIS Bren

Krys said...

Brenda,

Did you ever stop to think that the powers that be might have thought that your life before meeting me was going -too- well, so into your life I came? And that 'better' isn't really 'better', just 'different'? And that maybe these same powers that be thought my life before meeting you sucked, so into my life you came? Do you think that maybe you have that whole thing backwards?


Nah, I don't think so either! HA HA HA HA!

Lucky for me we're at the end of the month!

Post a Comment