Thursday, April 22, 2010

EARTH DAY

Thursday, April 22, 2010
Founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson in 1970, Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 in more than 175 countries. Some people celebrate Earth Week running from April 16 to April 22. I personally think every day should be Earth Day and I think a lot of people feel that way. When I am at the park or on a nature hike with my children we pick up as much trash as we can. It makes us sad that people just throw trash everywhere.

Both of my girls are doing things in school to celebrate Earth Day. My oldest is spending the day cleaning up the outdoor science lab. They are going to plant tree's there. My youngest has talked her entire Kindergarten class into skipping recess and instead walking the neighborhood to pick up trash. She is proud of herself for talking them all into it. I plan on picking up trash in the wooded area close to our house. Of course to clean it all out I will need a dump truck. There are tires, pop bottles and even a big pleather chair. I might need a little help with that one.

If everyone in the world would pick up just one piece of trash today, it will be a successful Earth Day in my book. So help out Mother Earth and reach down to pick up some trash.

(click here for more ideas on how you can help!)

SIS BJ aka Aleena Ravenwood

7 comments:

Sisters-in-Sync said...

What a great post and wonderful reminder to take better care of our planet. Kudos to you and the girls for taking an active part in Earth Day. You've inspired me to do the same. I visted the EPA site for more ideas and have committed to these for today (and hopefully in the future!)

*Use only the water you need, and reuse when possible

* Learn about the native species and the negative effects of non native plants and animals in the environment.

* Reduce. Cut back on the amount of 'stuff' that could later end up as waste.

*When purchasing goods, opt for sustainable, recycled or reused resources. Choose items in less packaging.

Oh! And I'm going to try to be better about usuing my recycled bags at the grocery rather than plastic!

SIS Beth

SIS BJ said...

Hi Beth

Those are some great and easy tips. Thank you. Going green can be expensive, but there are always cheap and easy things that you can do.

I love those reusable bags. We use them all the time.

Tori Lennox said...

We've been replacing our standard light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs as the standards burn out. I don't know if they use less energy or not but they sure burn a lot longer!

Chris Behrens said...

BJ,

Excellent post and ideas. There are a lot of little things we can all do that add up.

Tori - They do use less energy :)

Elle J Rossi said...

BJ,

Stealing your youngest ones idea, I had my daughter ask her teacher if they could do the same thing today. Not sure why, but she was told no. They talked about Earth Day a little, but that was it. My husband, however, said that they turned out all the lights at his school and the children helped pick up the garbage around the school.

At home, we're trying to remember to shut off lights and shorten our shower time!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

SIS BJ said...

Tori,
We are doing the same thing with our lights.

Chris,
You are right, there are a lot of little things that count.

Barb,
Tell Drama that it was good of her to ask. maybe next years teacher will let them. I try to keep lights that we don't need off. A couple in the house are bad about not shutting them off.

Kim said...

What a fun site this is, and informative! This post is a great reminder to teach our kids about the Earth and Earth Day.

Post a Comment