Friday, April 2, 2010

Beyond the Bookstore

Friday, April 2, 2010
Yesterday was the official release day of OUT OF EDEN. I spent the day guest blogging at Loud Whispers and shouting the word from my personal blog as well as Twitter and Facebook. It felt a tad anti-climatic since copies had been available on amazon.com and bn.com for a couple of weeks and also because I'd already received several reviews. So I wasn't exactly on pins and needles wondering whether or not the book was going to be loved or slammed by readers. So far the feedback has been incredibly favorable. Yay!

However I was, and still am, on pins and needles wondering how the book was/is going to sell. On the business side of things, 'numbers' are everything.

I won't know for several months how well OUT OF EDEN is selling, but I'm encouraged by all the emails I got yesterday from readers who said they were on their way out to buy the book (now in bookstores!) or that they'd just downloaded it to their Kindle (whoosh!). I have to say though, that the high point of my day was when a friend/reader emailed to tell me she found OUT OF EDEN in Kmart!! Which means there's probably a very good chance that it can also be found at Wal-Mart. Woo-hoo!

You may be wondering why I find that so exciting. Let's put it this way. Not everyone is comfortable ordering a book on-line. And not every town in America has a Borders, Books-a-Million, or Barnes and Noble. Some don't even have an Independent bookstore. But mostly everyone is within driving distance of a Kmart or Wal-Mart. These stores usually offer books at a discount, which is appealing to shoppers. And even though someone might have only gone into the store for curtains, jeans, shampoo, or an economy case of soda, if they pass by the book/magazine section and my cover catches their eye, my book may just end up in their cart.
The impulse buy is a mighty huge factor in overall sales.

The only thing more exciting than my book being in Kmart and Wal-Mart is if it also showed up in groceries or drug stores. If airports stock it then... I have arrived.

So... while you're out and about, even if you're not buying a copy of OUT OF EDEN, will you please keep an eye out? I'd be thrilled to hear about any sightings. Bookstore, department, grocery or drug store? Let me know!

Question of the day: Where's the oddest place you ever purchased a book?

SIS Beth

10 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Best of luck with the book. Seeing it in a K-Mart is a very good sign.

Malcolm

Linda Wisdom said...

Great Beth! It's also listed in my BookRak catalog.

Strangest place was a tiny hole in the wall store in Hawaii. I was short reading material and they had a good selection.

Jen said...

LOL, I'd gone in to buy mousetraps and got to walk out with your book. I was excited for you the moment I spotted that great cover!

Beth Ciotta said...

Thank you, Malcolm! I'm thrilled!

Linda, I'm not sure what BookRak is. I'll have to google that. That hole-in-the-wall in Hawaii sounds like a cool place. Or maybe it's just Hawaii that made me think WOW. :)

Jen... Mousetraps and a romance book. Heh. Sounds like a good combo to me. Thanks again for the awesome news!

SIS Beth

Chris Behrens said...

Beth,

Checked in Walgreens and CVS here in Florida and no luck :( I Have yet to try Walmart or K-mart though, so there's still hope.

I know this is lame, but I don't have any odd places that I've bought books. I've purchased a lot of books at yard sales though, and if and when I see one of yours at a yard sale I'll know you've arrived!

Tori Lennox said...

I can't think of any odd places I've ever bought books either.

SIS BJ said...

Hi Bteh

Not too long ago, my little monster spotted one of your Evie books at Walmart. I thought it was cool that she knew it was your book.

As for odd places; I have found good books at second hand shops. Not sure if that is odd.

Beth Ciotta said...

Hey, Chris/Krys. Thanks for looking. Keep your eyes peeled! :)

Mary Stella just emailed me a pic. She saw it at the Kmart in Marathon, Fl!

Tori... maybe I should have phrased my question differently. Seems 'odd' is the wrong word.

BJ... How cool that Monster spotted Evie in a store. Gotta love that girl!

SIS Beth

Chris Behrens said...

This is kind of like an early Easter egg hunt!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

Crap! Blogger ate my comment.

Anywho, congrats on your book being spotted at the K-marts. We always make a scene when we see your books.

The strangest place I have ever "purchased" a book was at a small bait shop on the water. We were on the boat and stopped to buy some bait and I saw a basket of books sitting there. I asked the owner how much he wanted for a Harlan Coben book and he said they were free. You just needed to trade one in and then take the one you wanted. I didn't have a book to trade but he let me take the Harlan Coben book anyway, and I promised to bring a book the next time we stopped. Pretty cool.

Good luck and we'll keep our eyes peeled.

SIS Bren

Post a Comment