Friday, September 25, 2009

See it, Be it!

Friday, September 25, 2009
Last week I had a firm idea of what I wanted to blog about today. But then the week went by, things happened. My mind switched tracks. It does that a lot. I don't think I have ADD. I just think my mind is constantly spinning. I have a lot of interests. A lot of projects. And the ideas just keep coming. As do opportunities. I don't have ADD, but I do have trouble saying 'no'.
That said, the additional project I took on this week is finished and turned in. The editor was pleased and I'm thrilled. The assignment--an article--was a bit of a challenge. In the midst of that challenge, Barb emailed me: You can do it!
It reminded me of when we were climbing up that mountain in Wyoming (as well as what I wanted to blog about!), the first half of a six-mile hike. Aside from not being used to the high altitude, I'm not in peak condition (it would help if I exercised), so I was hurting. My thighs were quivering, my lungs near to bursting. Forty-some degrees and I was sweating. Barb climbed ahead of me, with somewhat greater ease. Still, I imagine it was a bit of a trial for her, too. At one point she commented (paraphrasing here) "If you want it bad enough, you'll make your body do it."

This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I wanted to share it with my sister. No way was I wimping out. On sheer determination, I did it. We did it!
See it, Be it.

I'd had a similar situation the day before. We were in Yellowstone National Park in the Little Grand Canyon. if you wanted to see the impressive waterfall up close you had to climb down (and back up) 500 steps. I not only faced the physical challenge (most everyone we passed was wheezing!), I faced my fear of heights. No way was I going to miss out. I sucked it up and did it. I was darn proud. I can't imagine missing that moment, earning that memory.
See it, Be it.

Sort of like with that article. Something out of my normal realm. I had to stretch my muscles, conquer self-doubt. The pay off was sharpening my writing skills, highlighting the careers of an artistic team I admire, and getting my name out there. It took concentrated effort and time. But I did it.

See it, Be it.

This week I heard back from my agent about a partial I sent her. The first three chapters of a new series idea that I'm dying to write. She adored the concept and much about the second and third chapters, but had felt overwhelmed by the first chapter. She explained why. I got why. She offered alternate thoughts that inspired new thoughts. It means some major changes, some deep thought, some additional effort. But I'm going to do it. I want to write this series. I'm dying to write this series.
Whatever it takes.

See it, Be it.

As my plane circled over Philadelphia on that plane ride home from Wyoming, I looked down on the city, the region, and thought, "I don't belong here." As enchanting as I found Wyoming, I don't belong there either. My heart is in England, a country my husband and I have visited many times. When I got home I asked him if we could seriously discuss moving there. It's something we both badly want.

"What would it take," I asked."

"It wouldn't be easy," he said.

"But we could do it."
"We could do it."

We will do it.

See it, Be it.
I started scoping real estate and job opportunities in Kent and will continue to do so until I pinpoint a viable option.
Speaking of my husband, TODAY is our wedding aniversary. Click the SIS Scrapbook tab up top to see pictures. I wanted a happily-ever-after. I got it!
See it, Be it!
No matter the goal, I think it all boils down to how badly you want it. If you want it bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to succeed. You'll face fears. You'll make sacrifices. You'll work hard. You'll do it. Our bodies and minds are capable of more than we give them credit for. We have it within us to conquer formidable mountains. All we need to succeed is passion and determination. I've got a boatload of both. How about you?

6 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Happy anniversary!!!! :)

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

Yes! See it, Be it. You can do anything you set your mind to. We hear that all the time, and it is absolutely true. You wanted to be a singer and you were. You wanted to be a writer, and you are. You can make it happen. I have faith and I know how much determination you have.
Good luck in your pursuit for England, and let me know your address so I'll know where I'll be vacationing!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Geez! Is it that time of year again? Happy happy anniversary!

Brenda

Barb said...

Beth,

That really was a great trip. We pushed ourselves many times. I wonder what our limit would be. Just when you think you can't climb any further...you do.

So keep the faith and motivation and make your dream of England become reality. Don't let anything stop you!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori, Thanks! We had a great anniversary!

Brenda and Barb--that's what I was thinking. My future home in England will make a a great vaca spot for my sisters! :)

SIS Beth

Olga said...

Beth, I'm a bit late, so I hope it's okay to say HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY!!! I believe in taking chances and giving it your all if the matter is worth it. I also believe, like you said, that if you want it bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to succeed. But unfortunately, I also know that some things, no matter how hard you try, are impossible to change, and one just has to accept it...

Post a Comment