Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Music

Tuesday, September 8, 2009
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Before we offer this week's music reccomendations, we'd like to share some SIS news. Tomorrow, Wednesday, Beth and Barb are taking off for a writing retreat/adventure in Wyoming. Luckily, two other sisters (yes, there are many of us!) agreed to come on board for a week so Brenda wouldn't be all by her lonesome. Adding their own delightful personalities and musing into the mix will be B.J. and Brandy. You can see them in a new picture on the SIS Scrapbook page. (Note from Beth and Barb: "Don't have too much fun without us!")

And now back to Cafe Chaos --Music!


SIS Barb says...
This week I'm going to recommend a song rather than an artist or album. Many artists have sang this song throughout the years, including Bren. I have to say she does my favorite rendition. Every time I hear this song, it brings back wonderful memories. Memories of hog roasts, swinging on ropes into the river, cooking everything with just a touch of beer, running barefoot through the grass and just good country living.

I will admit that you may need to have a little, just a tad of country in you to truly appreciate the song. For all others, feel free to roll your eyes and tell me I've lost it.

My Pick of the Week: Rocky Top
Artist: Osborne Brothers (as well as a bazillion others!)


SIS Bren says...
For more than 20 years I was fortunate enough to sing for a living. I wouldn't change it for anything. I don't even remember half of the songs I sang. Some were great, some were just whatever was popular at the time. I remember being excited to sing "Material Girl" from Madonna. YIKES! Not because it was a great song, but because I knew people would dance to it and love it. There were always so many songs to choose from and a lot of times, I would want to sing a song originally recorded by a man. Usually the guys in the band would take those, so I would have to bow out. I was absolutely thrilled when a female artist I admired released a rendition of one of my favorite songs recorded by one of my favorite artists. It is almost my favorite song that I ever had the pleasure of singing!
My Pick of the Week: Oleta Adams
I love her deep, rich, soulful voice. She had a big hit with the song "Get Here" by Brenda Russell which was an amazing song that I was blessed to sing. She and a few other artists you may recognize sang on an album "celebrating the songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin". I'm not sure if my pick is Oleta Adams, Elton John or the Album...
Suggested Album: Two Rooms
Favorite Songs: Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me (Oleta Adams), Daniel (Wilson Phillips), Your Song (Rod Stewart)


SIS Beth says…
I love vocal harmonies. Simple or complex. As long as their tight and blend. In fact, as much as I enjoy singing lead, I get a bigger kick out of singing with multiple vocalists. The biggest kick of all is singing with my sisters. There’s something about the way family voices blend. Unfortunately, I haven’t had as many opportunities to sing with my sisters as I’d like. I have, however, had the pleasure of singing with some extremely talented vocalist here in Atlantic City. At one time I put together a country group, inspired by the Dixie Chicks. We called ourselves the Chili Chicks and we performed together for three years. There were moments when the harmonies sounded so beautiful, they gave me chills. I don’t miss a lot about performing, but I do miss special moments like those. Feeling nostalgic this evening.

My pick of the week: Dixie Chicks
I love their music. Love their voices. And love, love, love their harmonies. Since the Chili Chicks was a cover band and not a tribute band, we performed hits from a variety of artists. We did, however, cover a lot of Dixie Chicks. It was darn hard to narrow it down when I loved nearly every song they recorded.

Recommended Album: Fly
My Favorite Song to Sing: Goodbye Earl

5 comments:

B.J. said...

Thanks alot Barb, now I can't get that song out of my head.

Bren, I love Don't let the Sun Go Down On Me.

Beth, I'm not much of a country fan but I do like the Dixie Chicks. Goodbye Earl is a great song.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hello Sisters,

I know what you mean B.J. It's stuck in my head also. Such a great toe-tapping song!

Beth, I love the Dixie Chicks too. I really enjoy their version of Landslide. Goodbye Earl is great!

SIS Bren

Barb said...

Hello SIS!
BJ,
I think my recommendation should be the anthem for the week. Sing it loud and proud girls!!!

Bren,
I think I won POW WOW (high school talent show) singing Oleta's Get Here. Love that song!

Beth,
I have always liked the Dixie Chicks. Although I never loved Goodbye Earl, there were so many others that I never tire of. I think my favorite is COWBOY TAKE ME AWAY.

SIS Barb

Olga said...

I'm with B.J. I'm not a fan of country music but I do like Dixie Chicks.

Tori Lennox said...

Rocky Top is a great song, Barb!

So is Goodbye Earl. The video for that one always cracks me up.

Good choices all around! :)

Post a Comment