Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Music

Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Tuesday we’ll offer recommendations for music lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Barb says...
I've been hearing this song on the radio lately and totally thought it was somebody other than who it is. When I heard today who actually sang it, I had an OMG moment. I watched a couple of season's of Nashville Star. (of course I did--I'm a HUGE country music fan) Anyway, some competitors were okay while others really stood out. This guy stood out!

My Pick of the Week: Chris Young
Man, can this guy sing. Absolutely flawless and that includes singing live. He's also a songwriter and performed one of his originals on Nashville Star a couple of season's ago. The song is called Drinking Me Lonely and to this day, I love the song. His latest album was released earlier this month and I downloaded the entire album from iTunes today. If you like a voice that sounds like old country mixed with new whiskey, you'll like Chris Young.

Recommended Album: The Man I Want To Be

My Favorite Songs: Gettin' You Home and Rainy Night in Georgia (and if you get the chance, download Drinking Me Lonely from his previous album)

SIS Bren says...

I was in the grocery store the other day and heard a song that I hadn't heard in quite a while. It was an old song and it took me right back to the days of my youth. I love when songs do that!

My pick of the week: Ambrosia

I guess I would describe this 70's band as easy-listening or light jazz, I'm not really sure,but I love them. Their songs have great melodies and harmonies and are great to listen to when you just want to wind down and relax.

Favorite songs: Biggest Part of Me, How Much I Feel, Apothecary



SIS Beth says…
Every once in awhile I discover a new vocalist who floors me. I remember when I first heard this woman sing. I even had the pleasure of seeing her perform live before she was a star. I was moved by her voice and her music. She’s been around awhile now and she isn’t popular as I think she deserves to be, but I hope she’ll hang in there. I, for, one, am a huge fan.

My pick of the week: Norah Jones
Although she has recorded four albums—her newest, The Fall, coming in November—her debut album is still my favorite. I’m not sure how to describe the music—a unique blend of jazz, folk, and R&B?—but every song touched me. As a vocalist, I especially wanted to perform Don’t Know Why . . . and I did. Still one of the songs I most enjoyed singing. A far cry from Joplin's Piece of My Heart, (another fave) but no less moving.

Recommended Album: Come Away With Me
Favorite Songs: Don't Know Why, Cold Cold Heart, Feeling the Same Way

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hello, ladies. me from wisrwa. just popping in for a hello. xo

Elle J Rossi said...

Good morning, Kelly!

Thanks for stopping by.

Enjoy your day!!

SIS Barb aka Elle J Rossi

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for stopping by! Please visit us again soon...there's always something new here at SIS.

SIS Bren

Liz Kreger said...

Good recommendations. Personally, I've been into Nickelback. Gritty stuff.

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, I'm not familiar with Chris Young. Sounds interesting.

Brenda--oh, the memories! I loved Ambrosia. Biggest Part Of Me is an awesome song and a longtime fave. Gotta go You Tube it now.

Kelly and Liz, thanks for stopping by. Liz, Nickelback rocks!

SIS Beth

Olga said...

I was floored by Norah Jones, too. Totally amazing!

Taylor said...

Barb - I like your description, I will check him out on iTunes for sure!

Bren - As I sit here 3am on my computer trying to finish up a paper and study exams, I can certainly need some winding down music. Thanks for the tip!

Beth - I love Norah Jones too, I'm sure we've discussed it before. I did not know however about her new album!! Thanks so much for the tip, now I can't wait!! And I have to say that 'Sunrise' and 'Thinking About You' are some of my favorites from her.

Post a Comment