Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ever-changing

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Brandy’s post yesterday has me thinking about how much everything changes over the years. Not just changes in our personal lives, but changes every where you look.

The cars today are completely different than the cars of twenty years ago. Some are much more fuel-efficient while others are guzzling more gas than ever. They’re much more sleek than they were in the 80’s.

Fashion is something that changes yearly, sometimes even seasonally. What’s “in” today will surely be a fashion faux pas by next year. Of course it all comes back around in due time. Some of it should have never been considered fashion, but we buy it and wear it, wanting to look hip and with the times.

Music has changed so much over the years that it now has me sounding like an old fogey with my “They call that music?” remarks. Every generation has their own sound I guess. I’m so glad I’m old!

But, in the music business, you have to keep growing and changing with the times if you want your career to sustain. You have to keep re-inventing yourself in order to stay on top. You need to be current.

Barb sent me an article not long ago about the changing trends in the publishing world. One thing they mentioned is how they expect sales for adult books to decrease while books for young adults will be on the rise. Young adult books are hot right now and they predict they will continue to be hot for some time.

As writers, published or not, do you think that you would change your writing style or genre to accommodate the changing times or do you think you’re better off to just stay with what works for you? Are you willing to re-invent yourself?

And for those of you who don’t write, would you be willing to change aspects of your life, either personally of professionally, in order to be considered hip and relevant?

SIS Bren

7 comments:

SIS Barb said...

Bren,

Great topic. Yes, I do change certain things about myself to make sure I am relevant. I don't want to be one of those people others look at and wonder what decade I'm stuck in. With that being said, I do think we need to take our age into account. I cannot wear the same thing that an 18 year old wears without someone looking at me as if I've lost my mind. I think there is a fine line there and one where I hope I don't slip and fall to the wrong side.

Regarding writing. There have been and always will be trends. Yes, YA is huge, but for me it takes a very long time to write the book and then I have to go through the process of getting agents/editors to want to read it and then if they buy it, it still may take months or even years before it is released. By that time, the fad may have come and gone. So for me, it's more important to find my voice, enjoy what I do and do it as best I can. I love paranormal. I've read it for as long as I can remember, so while it may not be the most current trend of tomorrow, I have no doubt that there will still be several paranormals on the shelves. Mine included.

So, bust out those hammer pants, slap on a tube top, slide on those LA Gear and scrunchy socks and have a fantastically fun stylish day!

SIS Barb

SIS Brandy said...

A lot of professions pretty much force us to stay "hip." A lot of people would be more likely to buy something from the salesperson that presents themself well. Same goes for entertainers. All through life, we are constantly judged on how we look.

Alyson Reuben said...

Oh good grief, Barb! Hammer pants? LA Gears? Man, do I remember those quirky '80s fashions! The one trend that I'd actually like to see make a comeback is 'big' hair. They’re hilarious. And they take tons of hairspray. But, boy, are they works of art! *snicker* At any rate, thanks for making me laugh!

Brenda, you raise a very good question! Should we be ourselves, or mold our image into what's expected by the public?. I prefer being myself, faults and all (and I have a lot of them!). For a casual look, I tend to dress a little hippie-bohemian. But my dressier side likes tailored, sophisticated fashions. I avoid looking 'dated'. Once I hit my thirties the last thing in the world I wanted was to look stuck in time! So I try to be as stylish as possible while keeping true to my age and to 'me'.

The same concept goes for my writing. I'd feel completely cramped if I had to force myself into the current publishing craze, rather than write in my own voice. I agree with Barb - who knows what the trend in publishing will be by the time a story is completely written, edited, published, and put out on the shelves? It's such a lengthy process. Three or four trends could make their rotations before a single book is finally completed.

SIS BJ said...

Hi Brenda

I agree with Barb, great topic. I don't keep up with the fads. I just wear what I like and what looks good on me. I have my own sense of style. A mix between goth and hippie. It works for me.

I'm with you on the music. Older is better!!

Alyson Reuben said...

BJ, you dress in a mix of goth and hippie? I MUST meet you sometime!

Tori Lennox said...

I'm pretty much writing what entertains me. If it entertains other people too, great. If not... well, I'll just wait until it's in fashion again. :)

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Great topic, Bren.

As far as music goes, I confess, I'm not hip at all anymore. Given my lifetstyle, I don't have time for the radio. When I do listen to music, I tend to listen to what moves me--Celtic music, movie soundtracks, random ecletic artists like Lisa Loeb . . .

As far as clothes, trends seem to be youth oriented for the most part and I'd look pretty silly in most of them. Like BJ, I think I have my own unique style, though mine seems to shift a little with age.

As far as writing... by the time you write and submit the hot genre/sub-genre, the new 'next thing' will be in vogue. Better to write from the heart. Excell at what you feel most passionate about and someone will notice. Speaking of, back to my new proposal...

SIS Beth

Post a Comment