Friday, May 21, 2010

Embracing the Unknown

Friday, May 21, 2010

For the first time in several years, I am not under a contracted deadline. All my responsibilities for my September release, INTO THE WILD, are met. I am 'out-of-contract'. It's liberating in a way. Scary in another. Let's examine the liberating part.

Without the pressure of having to write every free second of every day or night, I have been able to refill my creative well. I've been reading for pleasure. I've also been reading to learn. I've also been watching movies and mini-series. Although mostly that's for pleasure, I've also been absorbing screenwriters' unique styles of storytelling in hopes of enhancing my own. I've been spending more playtime with my dogs and more quality time with my husband. All of this has been refreshing and inspiring. And although I don't have to write I want to write. It's a wonderful feeling indeed.

I realize more than ever how important it is to continually refill that creative well. You can only dip into it for so long before drying up. I don't want to dry up. I want to flourish. I want to challenge myself. I want to grow.

Circumstances make this the perfect time for me to explore new worlds. I decided to explore an idea that's been simmering and morphing in my brain for two years. I gave my imagination free reign and it took me to a pretty incredible place. I've spent the past month polishing a proposal for a series that I very much want to write. In addition to a series overview and synopsis, I've written the first three chapters of book one and because I believe in the power of creative visualization, I've been writing forward, certain that some editor will be as crazy about the idea as I am. My dynamo agent is presently shopping this project. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on pin and needles. Think positive thoughts for me because I really, really, really want to write this series.

That said, if this series doesn't sell, at least I know I gave it my all. At least I tried. I'll be disappointed, but not defeated. I have three other stories brewing in my brain. I get a thrill everytime I jot down an idea. Everytime I type a passage. My heart and soul are alive with the joy of Storytelling. Contracted or not . . . I am a writer. No matter what . . . I will write and somehow, some way, my stories will find a home.

Life is full disappointments and adversities, but it's also bright with opportunities. You don't have to be a confident, aggressive or bold person to succeed, but motivation and passion are key. The next time you run into a wall, kick a hole through it and embrace the unknown.

SIS Beth

10 comments:

Mary Stella said...

Good for you, B. Good for you! Having read the proposal, I'm convinced beyond the merest whisp of a doubt that multiple editors will want your new project.

If something completely strange happens and nobody offers for it, I think you should write the book anyway and publish it yourself online.

Fabulous options are available to you.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey Beth. When I saw you at RT, you were so much smaller than I thought you'd be, but much more vibrant. Like a warm flame. I'm just sorry we didn't to spend more time together. I was still recuperating from pneumonia and tired, but had a Grand time just the same.

As to your post, you do have to refill the creative well. Let your imagination flow out into the universe and let the ideas come back to you.

Since RT, I've been in a major reading jag. Part of it is learning. Seeing how others do things, set things up, styles, word plays, pacing, world building. I love it when it clicks and you go, aaahhhh. So THATS how it's done.

Strangely our patterns seem to overlap here because I've been doing the same with movies and series, Yes both reading and watching entertain me, but there is an analytic part of my brain working.

I have a series I really want to write too. I started it before RT and fleshed out with the 2nd and 3rd story ideas and have scads of research on the world base. I also have two more ideas cooking. I'm wondering if RT started it all? lolol! All those creative people in one place.

Whatever you write, you know I'll want to read it!

Alyson Reuben said...

I doubt that your series will have a hard time finding a home, Beth. You have a lot of experience behind you, and a great fanbase. I can't wait to see read them.

I feel like the last part of your post was written just for me! Thanks :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Hi Mary!

I so appreciate your enthusiasm for my new project. Here's hoping! On the flip side... you're right, fantastic options abound. We're entering a new age of publishing, of reading. Interesting times.

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Hi, Sia!!

I don't think I've ever had anyone compare me to a warm flame. How lovely! As for being small, well, I am pretty short I guess. AND I'm prone to flats rather than heels so that doesn't help. :)

I'm sorry I ddn't get to speak longer with you at RT. I thought about that after I got home and felt bad. The whole conference was a blur. For me... between workshops and then rehearsals for Heather's show and Mr. Romance... I felt like I was never in one pace for long. AS for you.... I never would have known you felt a tad under the weather. You were so animated and friendly!

So glad you came back from RT inspired. That's a huge bonus to attending conferences. Good luck with your series and simmering ideas. I bet they rock!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Alyson, I'm glad a part of my post touched you personally. Passion and perseverence, my friend.

SIS Beth

SIS BJ said...

Hi Beth

I am sending positive thoughts your way.

Elle J Rossi said...

I'm with Mary Stella. This will be a hit. The right editor will snatch this up! Continue to stay creative and enjoy the time between deadlines!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Beth,

I'm so glad that you're have the chance to re-generate! Good luck with your new ventures, I know you'll achieve whatever it is you reach for.

SIS Bren

Olga said...

Beth, glad you're enjoying relaxing time between guidelines. You work so hard, so you truly deserve it! As for new series, sending good vibes your way....

Post a Comment