Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bloodsuckers...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010



Have you ever thought about how different vampires are from book to book? Each story I read tells of conflicting ideas of what a vampire can and cannot do.

First, there is the whole sunlight thing. Do they instantly burst into flames if they are exposed? Well, apparently, there are some vamps that are luckier than others. Some sparkle when in the sun. I just read a book in which they could go in the sun as long as they were wearing a special gemstone.

What about eye color? Is it red, yellow, black...

And what about body temperature? Are they hot or cold? I'm getting confused. Every author keeps telling me something different.


The same thing can be said for their eating habits. Some kill anybody in sight without a second thought. Of course that's normally not the hero in the book. Other's hunt animals for food. Some can drink from a human without turning them into a vamp or killing them. Others are very sophisticated and drink blood from wine glasses. (They must order it online)

But one thing every vampire has in commom... They are so damn sexy!!! Their physical appearance is always amazing. They are very charming and very protective of their heroine. These vamps are great balance of arrogant and romantic. How can the thought of a "man" that drinks blood be so appealing?!?!?

Thoughts please!!

SIS Brandy

8 comments:

Barb said...

Ah, Brandy, one of my favorite subjects!

Yes, there are many different versions of vamps out there and I love most of them. I love the sophisticated vamp, the sexy vamp, the scottish vamp and so many, many more.

I'm currently reading a series by Keri Arthur where she does not romanticize most of the vamps. There is an exception but for the most part, she makes her vamps very unattractive with no self discipline and get this, she makes them stink. As in bad body odor, as in the don't shower at all. Love the story but wish the vamps were more like what I'm used to.

I like that some ideas conflict with others. It means, as a reader, I'll never know exactly what I'm getting!

SIS Barb

SIS BJ said...

Hi Brandy

Vampires started out as ugly and evil, though they still loved. I believe it was Anne Rice who started the sexy vampire genre.

I like them either way.

SIS Brandy said...

I definately prefer the sexy ones. I don't like the idea of smelly vamps. I like them described as being sweet smelling.

I need to read some Anne Rice stuff. I never have.

Tori Lennox said...

I prefer sexy vampires too. One showed up in my steampunk book. I hadn't planned on having a vampire. Then again, I hadn't planned on the zombie invasion either. Anyway, I think vampires are one of those creatures you can pretty much come up with your own rules.

I've never understood the whole "vampires have no reflection in the mirror" thing. Why the heck not? It can't be because they don't have a soul. Neither do clothes or furniture!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

I love vampires. As a young girl I used to watch scary movies about vamps. I would be scared out of my mind but would watch anyway. I'd go to bed scared and try to make myself dream of something happy, like playing soft ball. I would envision being up to bat waiting for my pitch. Suddenly the skies would turn dark and stormy and I would turn to look at the UMPire who had suddenly turned into a VAMPire!

I've read a couple of the Anne Rice novels and loved them.

Tori, good point about vampires and their reflection. Doesn't make sense to me either. If I were a sexy vampire, I'd want to check myself out all the time in the mirror! HA!

SIS Bren

SIS Brandy said...

Tori,

Ok I need some help here. What is a steampunk book? I've never heard that term. And very good point on the mirror thing!!

Beth Ciotta said...

There have been soooooo many vampire stories over the past few years. I suspect authors are striving to put their unique spin on thier vamp--gifting him with varied skills, plaguing him with different flaws--in order to keep him fresh and exciting.

Charlaine Harris found her unique spin with synthetic blood. This enables her vamps to exist more 'sociablly' with humans. Well, some of them anyway. ;)

SIS Beth

Tori Lennox said...

Brandy, steampunk is.... kinda hard to describe. :) Most books of the genre are set in Victorian times but sort of an alternate Earth. Steam powered trains, airships, and if they have modern things like computers, they're powered not by electricity but steam or clockwork. It's a lot of fun to read, but REALLY hard to write, I've discovered.

Post a Comment