Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Movies

Saturday, July 11, 2009
Sis Barb says . . .
Unfortunately, I really don't get to watch many movies. There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. Seriously. But there are times when the family and I sit down to watch some incredibly entertaining TV...so today, I'm recommending a TV show. Hope that's okay.

My Pick of the Week: Wipeout
I know what you're thinking. Is this girl kidding me? Oh, I jest not. You must watch this show. My family and I are hooked and now since I've talked about it so much at work, others have jumped on the bandwagon! The pleasure of seeing these brave and silly contestants getting socked in the head by a mechanical boxing glove or struggling to stay atop the "big balls" only to bounce off into the murky water beneath is more than anyone can ask for in an hours worth of mindless entertainment. I recently told Tori how I dream of a Wipeout theme park. Build it and I will be there! (no cameras please!) Catch it on ABC on Wednesday evenings! You won't be disappointed.


Sis Brenda says . . .
While sitting here bored out of my skull on a Friday night, I decided to go through my DVD collection and find something to make my night a little more exciting. I came upon a movie that I have not watched in probably five years and now I can't wait to watch it!

My Pick of the Week: The Count of Monte Cristo

Here is an excerpt from the back cover of the DVD...

When the dashing and guileless Edmond Dantes (Caviezel) is betrayed by his best friend (Pearce) and wrongly imprisoned, he becomes consumed by thoughts of vengeance. After a miraculous escape, he transforms himself into the mysterious and wealthy Count of Monte Cristo, insinuates himself into the French nobility and puts his cunning plan of revenge in action. This swashbuckling thriller will have you sitting on the edge of your seat until the last ounce of revenge is exacted.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and am thrilled to be watching it once again. Enjoy!


SIS Beth says…
The other day I tripped upon a trailer for the new Sherlock Holmes movie directd by Guy Ritchie (who’s style admire) and starring Robert Downey Jr, (whose acting I adore).
I can’t wait! But I’ll have to. It doesn’t come out until Decemeber. Darn. In the meantime, I’ll recommend one of my favorite films of last year. Saw it twice in the theater and bought the DVD. It also stars Robert Downey Jr.

My Pick of the Week: Ironman (2008)
Here’s the plot in a nutshell coutesy if IMDB: When wealthy industrialist Tony Stark is forced to build an armored suit after a life-threatening incident, he ultimately decides to use its technology to fight against evil.

One of the best things about this movie is the setup. So often movies rush to get to the action and fail to spend enough time focusing on who the protagonist was before and what made him tick prior to his/her metomophisis to ‘hero’. Braveheart did an excellent job of this. Gladiator, not so much, hence I never rooted for Crowe’s character nearly as much as Gibson’s. Ironman delivers in spades, focusing Tony Stark’s unhero-like persona for quite some time as well as the events that ‘changed’ him.

Ironman
was a joy to watch. A clever adventure with nail-biting tension in addition to thrilling action scenes. Oh, and some sweet sexual chemistry! Rent it. Buy it. Watch it. Inspiring fun for all ages.

7 comments:

Olga said...

I love The Count of Monte Cristo! I've read the book and watched the movie adaptations made by different countries (including the one mentioned), some of them watched several times. Alexander Dumas (the stress on the second syllable, lol) used to be one of fave authors when I was a kid.

Tori Lennox said...

Barb already knows I share her love of Wipeout. I started watching it by accident (or laziness, take your pick). Now I don't miss it! It's the hosts/commentators that make the show for me. They come up with these hysterical zingers.

For awhile on Saturdays (my slowest TV viewing night), I was watching my Avengers DVDs. Watching Emma Peel kick butt is always fun. I have nowhere near all the DVDs, though. I worry about buying DVDs through mail-order in the hot summertime, though. Of course, the first thing I'm going to order when it's cooler is the final two volumes of the first season of Disney's Zorro series.

Richard said...

Well, I think your comment box is tired of my ramblings already -- had just finished a lengthy comment, tried to edit it ... and then it swallowed it whole, nowhere to be found:(! But, since I'm here, in short:
Agree with U3 SISers, except never seen Bren's version of "Monte Cristo" and now intrigued to seek it out.
My movie pick, in brief (sigh): "Star Trek," the one just released.

Beth Ciotta said...

Wipeout, huh. I've never seen it and doubt I will. I think I watch less TV than movies! Knowing your sense of humor, Barb, I can totally see why this show (after reading your description) will appeal to you. ;) You should talk to somone about that theme park idea. Maybe THAT'S how you'll make your millions!

Bren, I LOVE that version of The Count of Monte Cristo! I haven't seen it in forever. Me thinks I need to own that DVD. :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Olga, I'm not sure I've ever seen a version of TCOMC than what Bren mentioned. Although, of course, I know it's a classic story. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for another movie version. LOVE the story!.

Tori, Emma Peel did indeed kick butt. Plus she looked cool doing it. ;) The Avengers was a fun show. Speaking of TV series of that time... Did you see the movie remake of THE SAINT starring Val Kilmer? Extremely entertaining.

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Richard, I'm sorry Blogger ate your 1st post. I always enjoy your comments. Well, dang. For what it's worth, the SIS site loads slow on my computer (not sure why) and the comment box gives me fits (not sure why). I usually copy my comment before trying to publish it... just in case.

Anyhoo, as for your rec, I very much want to see Star Trek. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD. The story of my life of late. BUT we have a really BIG tv, so it's not all bad. At least I don't have to worry about people sitting in front of me and talking throughout the movie. (I hate that)

SIS Beth

Tori Lennox said...

I've yet to see the Val Kilmer version of The Saint. I'd heard how little resemblance it bore to the books (or even the 1960s TV show) and it made me leery. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Post a Comment