Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Movies

Saturday, June 27, 2009
SIS Barb says:
Sometimes you turn on the TV and flip through the channels over and over again before something catches your eye. Something that makes you say…aw, what the heck, I have nothing better to do. Sometimes it’s a waste of time, but occasionally you find a real gem, a movie that reels you in and keeps you captivated. A movie that you will remember.

My Pick of the Week: August Rush (2007)

A real gem of a movie. A romance that the entire family can watch. The music is wonderful. The characters are believable. You fight back tears, but in the end, you let them go. These are good tears. Happy tears. August Rush is a film starring Keri Russell, Jonathon Rhys Meyers, Robin Williams, Terrence Howard and a wonderful child actor named Freddie Highmore. Follow the tale of two lovers ripped apart and a child in search of his parents. It is heart wrenching and magical.

SIS Bren says...
Living in a house full of men I don't often get the chance to watch what one might consider a "chick flick" so when the boys are out I start scanning through the movie channels to see what I might find. A few weeks ago, to my delight, I found that a movie was playing that I had wanted to see. I'm so glad I took the time.

My Pick of the Week: Atonement (2007)

Starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy as two lovers who are torn apart by the lies of a young girl, jealousy, and the onset of WWII. Filmed on location in the UK, this movie spans many decades. The cinematography is breathtaking and the story is gut-wrenching. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it.

SIS Beth says:
Every now and then I run across a gem of a movie that runs me through an emotional gamut. A story that can make me laugh, cry, shock me, and thrill me is a story to be treasured indeed.

My Pick of the Week: Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
A timeless movie about a severely dysfunctional family. Every single family member is as quirky as the next. Each one intensely interesting and dealing with his or her own unique gritty issues. The stellar cast, Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette, Paul Dano, Steve Carell, Alan Arkin, and Abigail Breslin are absolutely electric. Arkin and Breslin, as the grandpa who's helping his granddaughter to prepare for the Little Miss Sunshine pageant, steal the show. Hats off to writer Michael Arndt for penning such an intelligent and touching film. I highly recommend Little Miss Sunshine! (Those with kids be warned, Grandpa is awfully fond of the "F" word.)

11 comments:

Beth Ciotta said...

Barb, I saw AUGUST RUSH on a whim and LOVED it. So magical and inspiring. The music was unique and everytime that kid played the guitar in his special way, I got chills. Excellent film!

Bren, I haven't seen ATONEMENT yet, but several people have told me it's a film I would love. Plus... I'm a big James M fan. I ned to make time for this one.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Bren,

I did see ATONEMENT and really enjoyed it. The scenery was beautiful in some parts. Amazing tale of how one lie can escalate and do a lot of damage.

Beth,
I have not had the pleasure of seeing LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE yet, but have heard it is wonderful. Now I will put it on my must see list and hope to get to it sometime within the next 5 years.

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Good Morning Sisters,

I have not seen LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE or AUGUST RUSH and at the rate I get to watch movies right now, it will probably be a while before I get to them. I'll definitely put them on my list though.

SIS Bren

Tori Lennox said...

I haven't seen any of those, though Little Miss Sunshine is on my "want to see" list. :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Tori, my 'want to see; list is so long, I'll be chipping away at it forever!

SIS Beth

B.J. said...

A movie that I have seen recently is and I greatly enjoyed is The Emerald Forest . It is an older movie, I think 1989, based on a true story about a young boy who was kidnapped by an amazon tribe. His dad finds him 10 years later and it get very interesting from there. If you have ever been concerned about the deforestisation of the Amazon Rain Forest; it is a must see!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi B.J.!

I've never seen that movie but it sounds very interesting. I'll have to make sure to check it out. One more for my list, it never ends! Thanks for visiting again!
SIS Bren

Beth Ciotta said...

OMG, BJ! How weird. I just watched EMERALD FOREST a few weeks ago! I rented it specifically to get a vibe on the Amazon jungle for an upcoming project. I thought it was a fantastic film. Very exciting and heartfelt. I loved the ending. Unexpected, but the right choice.

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hey B.J.

Happy to have you back! I haven't seen that one either but I'll look it up and see what it's all about.

I can imagine that if it is in the Amazon Rain Forest, the scenery must be beautiful.

SIS Barb

Olga said...

I loved LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. Both ATONEMENT and AUGUST RUSH are on my "to watch" list. Btw, I just seen THE PROPOSAL with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds - expected it to be a little funnier but overall loved it.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Olga,

I love Sandra Bullock so I'll be sure to catch that one!

SIS Barb

Post a Comment