Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Books

Thursday, June 25, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Thursday we’ll offer recommendations for book lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

SIS Barb says…
There are some books that grab you from the first paragraph. There are others that start off a little slow but something tells you…this is gonna be good. And when you get to the end, you are so happy that you gave it a chance because it was well worth it.


My Pick of the Week: Sugar Daddy
Sugar Daddy is a story that takes you on the journey. Follow along as a struggling young girl matures into adulthood. Liberty Jones is a character you will root for and cry with. A character that must decide between two men. Which one will she choose? Which one will you want her to choose? This book is a must read!

Author: Lisa Kleypas


Sis Bren says...
Mysteries, thrillers, anything that allows my mind to think and deduce, that's what I love. And when it is coupled with humor, I'm even more pleased.

My Pick of the Week: Deal Breaker
Myron Bolitar is a sports agent who always seems to find himself involved in murder and mystery. The banter between Myron and his partner, Winn, is witty and highly entertaining. Read along as Myron and Winn battle the bad guys in the first of nine in the Myron Bolitar series.

Author: Harlan Coben

SIS Beth says…
Reading is a form of escapism for me. When I really need to get away, I go back in time. Historical romance calls to my old soul and my love of adventure.

My pick of the Week: Ransom

A sexy, alpha Scottish highlander and a spirited, innocent English noblewoman clash and mesh in this thrilling tale laced with mystery, honor, and humor. I adore Julie Garwood’s colorful characters, her wit, attention to historic detail, and her ability to make me fall in love again and again. Ransome is one of her older novels, but perhaps my favorite. A definite keeper.

Author: Julie Garwood

20 comments:

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Good morning!

Bren,

I love the Myron Bolitar series. One of my faves!

Beth,
Love Julie Garwood but haven't read this particular book. I will now!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Good Morning Sunshine!

Barb,

Thanks for turning me on to Harlan Coben. I have read books outside of the Bolitar series and they are great as well. I didn't know I was so far behind in the Bolitar series though...I have four to go!

Beth,
I have read other works from Julie Garwood, but not this one. I'll have to pick it up. Ahhh, so many books, so little time!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Bren, Barn and all other Coben lovers, last year they adapted his book TELL NO ONE into a movie. Have you seen it? It's a fantastic movie and, I believe, now avail on DVD. InFrench with English subtitles, but trust me that didn't diminish the suspense one iota.

Check out the trailer on his website:
http://www.harlancoben.com/videos_tno.htm

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

BARN?? Hello, fingers Wake UP! That was supposed to be, uh, Barb. Sorry, sis.

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Barn..hehe...that's a good one. Must read the book first and then I'll watch the movie. I always try to read the book first, that way I can imagine in my own mind what everything looks like. Also, some movies have been so disappointing that had I seen them first I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read the book and I would have missed out on some awesome reads.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

True that sisters!

And, um, what did you mean by the Barn comment. Ya'll were the ones born in Peru!!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

True, we were born in Peru, but did you just say ya'll? Speaking of books, though... I just got an e-mail from Borders and Stefanie Plum is back. Finger Lickin' Fifteen. Must...have...now!

SIS Bren

julia said...

ooooh!! book talk, hooray! i haven't read into your older blogs, so you may have already posted some of what i'm going to chat about - but first, i need to comment on the reading/movie viewing - I love to read a book before seeing a movie, if there is a preview that says, "Based on the Best Selling Novel", i will purposely go get the book and then wait for the movie. lol! i've been trying to turn my kids onto the same concept - they all read the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before we saw the new movie. Dominic read the new Night At the Museum (adaptation) and then as a reward i took him (only him!) to see the movie. it just opens up their imaginations, you know? anyhow, onto my book picks:
water for elephants - it came out last year, i believe, but i just read it a couple of weeks ago. i guess it falls into the historical fiction category. i don't want to give away details, but i totally loved it and am even thinking about reading it again- which i RARELY do. ;-)
my horizontal life by chelsea handler and possible side effects by augusten burroughs - both easy reading, humorous, short stories, sort of in the style that david sedaris writes. just little biographical essays but REALLY funny stuff.
thanks, ladies for posting your picks, i was thinking just this morning that i needed to get to the bookstore! ;-)

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Julia!
So glad you stopped by! I too ask my children to read the books first...i.e. the Harry Potter books, Despereaux. My big guy is finally old enough that he read The DaVinci Code. He just turned 16 two days ago! YIKES! I love Chelsea Handler and can't wait to pick that one up.
Thanks for stopping by... you should read yesterdays blog. Maybe you have a story about Vanilla Ice you want to share. hehe

SIS Bren

Olga said...

Chelsea is awesome! Can't wait to read her book. As for the ones I've already read, I love RS by Brenda Novak.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Olga!

I used to watch The Chelsea Handler Show...it was hysterical. Every now and then I catch Chelsea Lately. She cracks me up! Haven't read Brenda Novak, I'll have to check her out. Have a great day!

SIS Bren

Fedora said...

Hmm... I have two of those on my TBR (Kleypas and Garwood)--I'll have to dig them out! I just finished Virginia Kantra's first three Children of the Sea books and am impatient for more. (Selkie shifters--wasn't sure I'd be into them, but they were great stories.) I'm currently reading a new-to-me author--Bettye Griffin.

Beth Ciotta said...

Julia, thanks for the great book recs! I've heard nothing but great things about WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. It's on my list. Have heard Sedaris is hilarious. I'm going to have to check him out, too. Got a kick out of your post. Don't be a stranger!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Olga, I agree... Brenda Novak rocks at romantic suspense!

Fedora... Selkie-shifters? That's a new one to me. Intriguing. Gotta love authors who excel at world building!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Julia Schmoolia! How are ya, girl? Miss you bunches.

Thanks for the book recommendations. As soon as I get through the 10 or 12 I already have...I'll be right on those!

Please come back and chat anytime!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Okay everyone, I feel like a schmuck. Who is Chelsea Handler?

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Fedora,

Read Kleypas first! You'll love it!!!!

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Olga,

Brenda Novak is great. I'll have to remember to grab another one of hers.

SIS Barb

Olga said...

Bren, I love Chelsea Lately! As for Brenda Novak, she has the new release on July 28th, THE PERFECT COUPLE, should be really good. Besides being a great writer (and NYTimes bestselling one), she is also a very nice person.

Barb, Chelsea Handler is a comedian and an author, has an incredibly funny show at the E! Channel, Chelsea Lately, and her books, I heard, are amazing, too!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Thanks Olga!

Have a great night,

SIS Barb

Post a Comment