Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cafe Chaos -- Books

Thursday, June 18, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Thursday we’ll offer recommendations for book lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!

*SIS Barb says...
A good book is a getaway from mundane, everyday things. A good book can make you laugh, cry or scare the crapola out of you. A good book insists that you not put it down. A good book can get you into trouble.

My Pick of the Week: The Black Dagger Brotherhood series
If you like vampires, you've got to read this. Sexy, thrilling and endearing. I highly suggest reading the series in order as it adds to the effect.

Author: JR Ward

Latest book in the series: Lover Avenged

*SIS Beth says...
Like most readers, I’m over the moon when I start reading a book I can’t put down. The precious page turner that has me turning pages until my eyes are bleary. That doesn’t happen for me as much as I’d like. Then again, I don’t have as much time to read as I’d like. That said I’ve come across some real treasures lately.

My Pick of the Week: The Fever series

I only recently tripped upon this series. The first three—Darkfever, Bloodfever, and Faefever—were already out, so I got to read them back-to-back. I fell in love with the author’s voice and the compelling tale, sometimes humorous, sometimes scary. This urban fantasy (with a wee bit of romance) is like decadent, dark chocolate—delicious and addictive. I devoured these stories and nearly wept at the cliffhanger ending of Faefever because the next installment wouldn’t be out for several months. The day grows nearer. Dreamfever will be mine mid-August!


Latest book in the series: Faefever

*Due to being out of town, SIS Bren was unable to share her book recommendation this week, but do please share yours! Do you enjoy reading series? Do you have a favorite? Do you have to read them in order?

13 comments:

Hisle said...

HI! I also read the Fever Series and it is wonderful. I am now reading the Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning. Loving it too!!

I'm off to Indiana to visit with family. Will check back in when I can.

SIS Barb

Beth Ciotta said...

I haven't read the Black Dagger Brotherhoos series. Will have to scout out book one. I've started many a series in the middle, not knowing it was part of a series. Reading out of order didn't diminish my enjoyment, but once I learned it was part of a series, I always went back and started with book one. I'm with Barb, reading in order 'enhances' the experience.

Fedora said...

Hi, SISes :) I haven't read the Black Dagger Brotherhood yet either, although I do think I've got book one on the TBR. And I've heard good things about the Monings too.

I LOVE reading series books, and do prefer reading them in order when possible. I've occasionally read out of order when I didn't know about the series and had to go back and get the earlier titles. One of my all-time favorites is Beth's Friends and Lovers trilogy. Some other faves--Julia Quinn's Bridgertons and Kleypas’ Wallflowers; Monica McCarty’s Highland books; Sylvia Day’s Georgians; Sarah Mayberry’s Daytime Divas; Kate Angell’s Boys of Summer; Stacey Kayne’s Wild trilogy; Loretta Chase’s Carsingtons; Marilyn Pappano’s Bethlehem books; Rhonda Nelson’s Men Out of Uniform; Leslie Kelly’s Santoris; Susan Kay Law’s Bright sisters; all of Nora Roberts’ families–Quinns, MacGregors, Calhouns, Stanislaskis, O’Hurleys…; Elizabeth Hoyt’s Princes; Lisa Wingate’s Tending Roses series; Tamera Alexander’s Fountain Creek trilogy; Alison Kent’s SG-5… And I just got turned onto Shelly Laurenston's Beast and Dragon books (as G.A. Aiken)... clearly I could on and on, and uh, did ;)

Unknown said...

Hello! Okay, I know it is totally cliche, but the Twilight series really rocked! I couldn't put them down. And they really aren't as teeny-bopper as they may seem. I just started a new trilogy, the first being City of Dreams. I am just into it, but it is about immigrants coming to Manhattan and their lives. I know it may sound dry, but it is surprisingly good so far. It is nice to change things up once in awhile for me--I tend to read a lot of the same types of books (Chick-Lit) so it is good to branch out. I am hoping to get some quality book time in this weekend actually....

Tori Lennox said...

Romance series I love are the Bullet Catchers by Roxanne St. Claire, the Crazy series by Tara Janzen, and the Body Movers by Stephanie Bond. I won't get into the umpteen million mystery series I read. *g*

Beth Ciotta said...

Fedora, that's some list! You certainly do enjoy reading series! Lots of great recommendations. Thanks for sharing!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Hi, Suzanne! You are not the only adult reading the Twilight series, trust me. I work at my local library I'd wager it is THE most popular series i the county system, going out to almost as many adults as young adults. I haven't read the books, but did see the movie. I confess, I was reeled in. The whole Romeo/Juliet vibe.

The series you're reading now doesn't sound dry to me. Sounds interesting. Like you, I sometimes like to branch out. Enjoy!

SIS Beth

Beth Ciotta said...

Tori, I've read Bullet Catchers (sexy) and Body Movers (fun). I've haven't covered the entire series yet, but I'm working on it! Since we seem to have similar taste, maybe I should check out Crazy. ;)

SIS Beth

Tori Lennox said...

Tara Janzen's books are a lot of fun! Hot guys, cool cars, tons of action. What's not to love? :D

Olga said...

I have to say that I prefer stand alone books to series but Beth's The Chameleon Chronicles is the exception. Loved Evie's adventures!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi all! Thanks for joining us today.

I almost always get hooked on series books and thanks to Suzanne for loaning me the Twilight series. I can't wait to get started on it.

Olga--I like Beth's Chameleon Chronicles a lot too!

SIS Barb

Sherry Tew said...

Hey Sisters! I love series books! I enjoy being able to perpetuate the relationship I develop with the characters and to revisit the characters as they evolve is such fun. I stumbled on a series called A Coffeehouse Mystery by Cleo Coyle. There are 7 books in the series so far, with an 8th book due in November. I have also read all of the Stephanie Plum Series books by Janet Evanovich. And of course, Beth's Chameleon series was wonderful! While waiting for the next book in a series, I read very different books. Right now I am reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. That literary sponge of a friend, Richard, turned me onto this book. I wouldn't have chosen it on my own, but am enjoying the story very much. Reading is food for the soul to me in a way similar to music. The variety makes for a very enjoyable time! I agree with Suzanne about the Twilight series. My teenage daughter, who was one of those almost fanatical fans, begged me to read the books. My skepticism soon dissolved and I found myself immersed in the dynamic of the story. I am learning to listen to others and try reading books I might turn away from if left to my own observations. I look forward to checking out some of the books you all have mentioned here!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Too true, Tori. *snicker*

Olga and Sherry, thanks for the shout out for The Chameleon Chronicles. It's a huge thrill to know you read and enjoyed Evie's wacky adventures.

Sherry, all I know about 'Pillars of the Earth' by Follet is that it's very popular and very BIG! I have to shelve that sucker at the library. Good to know that something that loooong can be so engrossing. Speaks the world of Follet.

Twilight. Ah, Twilight. I'm going to have to read I, aren't I? ;)

SIS Beth

Post a Comment