Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cafe Chaos--Books

Thursday, August 20, 2009
Welcome to Café Chaos. Grab a cup of coffee or tea (we prefer coffee) and join us for a chat. Every Thursday we’ll offer recommendations for book lovers. Feel free to comment on our picks or to throw in a few of your own. We’re listening!


SIS Barb...
Darn it! Beth stole my book recommendation. She posted first and I was going to think of something else but this book is so good it deserves double thumbs up this week. I too am reading DREAMFEVER by Karen Marie Moning and Holy Wow! This book is great. Am I surprised? Not one teeny bit. The other three books in the series are equally amazing and I highly recommend each and every one. But START AT THE BEGINNING! This is an ongoing tale and starting on any book but the first would be a huge mistake. Be forewarned--these books are not for anyone who enjoys a lighter read.

My Pick of the Week: DREAMFEVER
author: Karen Marie Moning


SIS Bren says...
After reading my sister's enthusiastic picks, I'm feeling that maybe I should get started on this series by Karen Marie Moning. Until then, I'll have to recommend another book from one of my favorite authors. Reading a book from this author is always a sure bet for me. I have never been disappointed.
My Pick of the Week: The Broker
Author: John Grisham
From the inside cover: In his final hours in the Oval Office, the outgoing President grants a controversial last-minute pardon to Joel Backman, a notorious Washington power broker who has spent the last six years hidden away in a federal prison. What no one knows is that the President issues the pardon only after receiving enormous pressure from the CIA. It seems Backman, in his power broker heyday, may have obtained secrets that compromise the world's most sophisticated satellite surveillance system.
Backman is quietly smuggled out of the country in a military cargo plane, given a new name, anew identity, and a new home in Italy. Eventually, after he has settled into his new life, the CIA will leak his whereabouts to the Israelis, the Russians, the Chinese, and the Saudis.Then the CIA will do what it does best: sit back and watch. The question is not whether Backman will survive--there is no chance of that. The question the CIA needs answered is, who will kill him?
SIS Beth says…
I recently posted about being in a reading slump. Nothing was really doing it for me. I’d read a chapter or two of a book and think, “Bleh” and move on. How fabulous to suddenly find myself with the opposite dilemma. Presently, I am jazzed BIG TIME about two books. Yes, I am reading them simultaneously.

My pick(s) of the Week: Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris AND DreamFever by Karen Marie Moning

I don’t typically read two books at once. This was a fluke. I recently discovered Charlaine Harris’s delightful vampire series featuring down-home southern cocktail waitress, Sookie Stackhouse and the civil war gentleman vampire, Bill. Yes, Bill. Gotta love that. Who would ever name a vampire Bill? Charlaine Harris, that’s who. Anyway, Ms. Harris’s writing is fantastic and I am hooked. I devoured the first book in the series and was 2/3 through the second—Living Dead in Dallas—and loving it, when DreamFever, (the 4th book in Moning’s Fever series, a book I’d been anticipating for months) finally hit the shelves. I couldn’t resist. I had to set aside Living Dead in Dallas to glimpse at the opening of DreamFever and… dang… Oh, My God… I’m already 50 pages into DreamFever… so intense. But I was also at an intense scene in Living Dead in Dallas. Have to know how Sookie’s getting out of the pickle she’s in. Have to know how Bill….

But then there’s Mac.. and Barrons… and the fate of the world…

So, yeah. I’m reading two books, two amazing books, at once. I am in heaven. Has this ever happened to you?

7 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Oh, they had an honest-to-goodness COMMERCIAL last night during Ghost Hunters for the Karen Marie Moning book. I nearly fell out of my chair. I can count the number of times I've seen books advertised on TV on one hand!

Beth Ciotta said...

Are you serious, Tori? Wow. Pretty sure that means that Moning's publisher is putting MAJOR dollars behind this book (and ultimatelly the series). You're right. It's rare. But I have to say, I think it's well deserved. What do you want to bet this series gets optioned for film?

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Tori,

Good for her. The commercial is well deserved and maybe an indication of something new to come to the book industry. Why not have commercials?

SIS Barb

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Tori,

That's great for her! I'd better hurry up and get these books so I can catch up to everyone else.
SIS Bren

Richard said...

Just finished reading "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr: New York City, 1896. A serial killer is on the loose, gruesomely preying upon cross-dressing boy prostitutes. Police detectives are making no progress solving the ghastly crimes. In fact, someone with power or influence seems to be bent on silencing witnesses and thwarting any investigation. Reform-minded police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt (yes, the same TR who later became president), determined to catch the killer, assembles an unconventional group of investigators headed by "alienist" Dr. Lazlo Kreizler. (In the 19th century, when psychology was in its infancy, the mentally ill were considered "alienated" from themselves and society, and the experts who treated them were known as "alienists.") Great period piece, very intricate and suspenseful (Carr makes MADDENING use of foreshadowing at the end of nearly every chapter!).

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Richard,

Sounds very interesting! Right up my alley perhaps. I'll have to grab that one next time I'm at Border's. I just LOVE their coupons.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Richard,

Sounds intriguing and Bren's right, this is something she would like.

SIS Barb

Post a Comment