Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's For Dinner?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The conversation is always the same.




“What sounds good for dinner?”

“I don’t know. What sounds good to you?”

“It doesn’t matter to me. I could eat anything.”

“Like what?”

“How ‘bout a salad?”

“No, salad doesn’t sound good.”

“Chicken?”

“No, I’m not crazy about chicken.”

“Well, what sounds good then?

“I don’t know. What do you want?”



This goes on and on and then finally a decision is made. Inevitably, as soon as my youngest finds out what we’re having for dinner, he announces that he doesn’t like it. I say “tough, you’re eating it anyway”, but then I always end up making him something that I know he likes to go along with the food he hates.



It seems as though I make the same dinners every week and I am in great need of some new, QUICK meals. Not to mention that we have two extra people living with us at the moment so these meals need to feed six. Well, my teen-aged son can eat enough for two or three so really these meals need to feed eight. And it would be nice if they were something that everyone in the house would like. Okay, I’m probably asking for too much. Just some new recipes would be nice.



Is dinner time at your house the same sort of hassle? Are you a wonder cook and can create meals that EVERYONE likes? Would you like to share some meal ideas with me, please?



SIS Bren



P.S. On a side note….Today is my puppies birthday…He’s 1! Happy birthday to MOOSE!

13 comments:

SIS BJ said...

Hi Brenda

We go through the same thing here. I'm at the point where if they don't like what I cook they can make themselves something else or go hungry.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Only occasionally do I ask. Most of the time I decide what to fix and that's it,lol! But my teen is picky so yah, I always have something he likes too. And the words, “tough, you’re eating it anyway” have been frequently used.

I'll have to think on recipes. I have bunches, but you know what? Unless I'm fixing something new I never use them, lol!

Tori Lennox said...

I rarely have to worry about this. Since I live with my parents again, my mom insists on doing the cooking. Fine by me. *g* We do sometimes have the "what's for dinner" conversation, though. :)

Beth Ciotta said...

Guess I'm lucky. Since Steve and I are always on different schedules we usually each fend for ourselves. :)

Happy birthday, Moose!!!

SIS Beth

Sisters-in-Sync said...

BJ,

Sounds like a plan...only Happy would live on peanut butter sandwiches and hot dogs. He does like fruits and a lot of vegetables though so I guess I'm lucky there.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Sia,

Tonight I decided to go with your suggestion. I didn't ask, I just decided what to make and that saved a lot of time and frustration. Of course I picked something that they all pretty much like so I don't have to hear complaints.

I do have some pretty awesome recipe books, but I don't usually use them because the recipes are pretty healthy and nobody really likes healthy around here:D

I'll look forward to your recipes if you have the time.

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Tori,

Your mom does the cooking? When can I move in? I'll even clean up after dinner!

I always say that if I were to win the lottery, a personal chef would be my big luxury. I'd have nice home, but nothing too extravagant. But I'd have a kick-butt kitchen and the best chef around to cook me healthy and tasty meals!

SIS Bren

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hello Beth,

Moose says "ruff ruff ruff ruff" which translates into "Thank you very much".

I like the idea of fending for myself! That would be glorious.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that you have no recipes for me. What? No Oodles of Noodles or Progresso soup suggestions?
Or maybe the phone number to the local Chinese restaurant? Hee hee. I like your way of cooking! Nice and easy!

SIS Bren

Krys said...

Brenda,

One of my favorite quick and easy recipes is Mac and Cheese Lasagna. It's made like regular lasagna but instead of lasagna noodles you use mac and cheese:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/mac-cheese-lasagna-94496.aspx

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Krys,

Thanks! I'll have to look that up. It sounds tasty and best of all, quick!

I want to take just a moment to say for everyone to read how very much I enjoy your posts. Your descriptions are amazing and your content always thought provoking. So, though I might not always get the chance to comment, please know that I look forward to reading your posts every Saturday. Now that's the last nice thing I'll say to you until your birthday!

SIS Bren

Krys said...

Brenda,

Are you feeling okay? Did one of your kids figure out how to post using your name? Seriously though, thank you for that but let's not go too far, you know how easily embarrassed I get LMAO

I never knew how hard it was to come up with a new idea every week and make it interesting until I started doing it myself. I thought if you gals could do it then it would be child's play for me, but boy was I wrong! And I'm kidding about the 'child's play' part...

You do know my birthday is still 5 months away, right? I'd be willing to bet that you say something nice about me before then. Purely by accident, of course.

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Krys,

You crack me up!

It IS hard to come up with something interesting every week, but you do a great job of it. If you have any left-over ideas, send them my way.

Might be going out next week. I'll send you a private e-mail. Maybe you and Wendy could make it out. It would be great to see you and insult you in person.

Hugs,
SIS Bren

Krys said...

Brenda,

I was gonna ask you for some ideas......Let us know when and where and we'll be there :)

Post a Comment